Thread: Blue-faced Honeyeater

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue-faced Honeyeater

Attached Images Attached Images

I have been trying for ages to get a portrait of these birds from the front. This is the closest I have come to date but I am not sure if this works at all.

Should I have tried to get the beak in focus more?

North Western NSW, Olympus E500, 50-200mm, EC14
    RAW, 1/1000 f4.6 ISO 400 Ap. Priority, 0 comp.
    Levels, curves, smart sharpen, 65% of original.
    Last edited by Ian Colley; 01-28-2008 at 05:59 AM.

Alexander Koenders

Its a pitty that the beak is unscharp. But....further i find this picture pretty nice to look at.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A good attempt Ian but I feel the OOF beak is too dominant and lets the composition down, but good try and keep them coming!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a cool bird. Great inquisitive pose.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I disagree. While I would love to see the bill sharper, I love everything else about it: the background, the amazing eyes, the detail in the black feathers on the cheeks and the breast, the exposure, and the composition.

At 1/1000 at f/4.6 you surely had room for lots of DOF. Have never run across f/4.6 before but if my math is correct you could have made the image at something like 1/125 at f/13. That done, the trick is to focus well in front of the eye, near the base of the beak. DOF with long telephotos at MFD is about 50/50, half in front of the point of focus, half behind.

later and love, artie

ps: What a lovely bird!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ian, I think this very very well, certainly a great perspective on a top bird. The composition, eyes, blue skin and detail are a standout.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is just beautiful. I don't think a full on forward look would work as well as this. Most birds don't look so great straight on.

I'm wondering about the blue spot on the tip of the beak?

Axel Hildebrandt

Aside from the narrow DOF this image works very well. Artie's advice should help.

Linda Robbins

Beautiful detail and color and what a gorgeous bird! DOF fix mentioned. Hope you will post more images of this stunning bird....

Del Cockroft

A very striking image of a handsome, gorgeous bird. I love it, well done....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the advice and positive comments everyone, I tend to shoot wide open all/most of the time to maintain a higher shutter speed. Hopefully I will get another opportunity with these birds to experiment some more.