Thread: Snowy Ring of Death

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Ring of Death

Just spent two days photographing Snowy Owls. I got many shots and the mild snow blindness and windburn is getting a chance to heal. These owls cruise at medium speed and are a challenge to follow. :)

Baited

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great timing,i always like snowy owls
    It`s my favorite bird!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is an exceptional shot Bill. I just hope we dont have another Hawk Owl experience where TONNES of people keep baiting the same owl with feeder mice. Hopefully you guys are shooting different individuals and not over-exploiting certain birds. Just my 2c. The image is awesome!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, Those talons! WOW. Great capture. The eyes on the bait instead of the camera makes this work for me.
    Great job on the whites. Bob

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice shot love the talons

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quick question .... was this owl baited or were you in the right place at the right time ? Beautiful photo either way.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Under the image on the left I have stated that the owl was baited for this photo.

Bill Sharkey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful image of a wonderful bird. Sharp as can be. With a perfect exposure. The view of the outstretched talons is insanely powerful. What lens did you use? How did you determine your exposure?

Here is a tip: next time be sure that your mouse tosser positions the mouse right down the shadow line. That would have ensured that the bird would be headed directly at you (rather than a bit to your right).

I have had to fire more than a fish tossers myself over the years...

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

The shape of the talons make this image for me.

Fabs Forns

Very impressive!

Dan O'Leary

Thank God I'm not a mouse. Amazing image.

Linda Robbins

WOW....love the view of those powerful feet and talons. Perfect exposure and crop.

Del Cockroft

Outstanding!!!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    [QUOTE=Arthur Morris;20493]Wonderful image of a wonderful bird. Sharp as can be. With a perfect exposure. The view of the outstretched talons is insanely powerful. What lens did you use? How did you determine your exposure?

Here is a tip: next time be sure that your mouse tosser positions the mouse right down the shadow line. That would have ensured that the bird would be headed directly at you (rather than a bit to your right).

I have had to fire more than a fish tossers myself over the years..."
    -------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Arthur, the lens used was a Canon 400mm 5.6 attached to a bushhawk. Exposure was manually set off a light colored barn and checked against the brightest snow to make sure I wasn't blowing any whites and my histogram was not chopped off at the high end of the spectrum.

The position of the mouse was usually as Arthur described, however, getting the owl to cooperate by flying directly at the lens was "hit or miss" as the owl approached differently almost every time. We did learn that baiting in the afternoon was not as good as the morning as the sun was much stronger and the owl tended to shade his eyes from the strong sun.

Thanks

Bill Sharkey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bill, Thanks for the added info. I was half joshing about the mouse tosser and the light angle. It is one amazing image. What are the temps like in the morning? later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Out of curiousity....how many times is " the owl approached differently every time" ?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fenton View Post
    Out of curiousity....how many times is " the owl approached differently every time" ?
    -----------------------------------
    Hey Jim,
    Sorry, but I am not going to answer that question except to say that I DO bait most of the birds and animals I photograph with food, calls, noises and do it as best as I can with the health of all animals in mind.

And most importantly this new site is fabulous without the politics and I hope it stays that way.

Thanks for the question.

Bill

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hey Bill, Thanks for the added info. I was half joshing about the mouse tosser and the light angle. It is one amazing image. What are the temps like in the morning? later and love, artie
    ------------------------------------------
    Arthur,
    the temps in the morning are often -22 degrees C (-10 F), but more important is the wind direction and strength. It is best if the wind and sun are at you back :)

Bill Sharkey

Marc Latrémouille

Sweet talons Bill!

Great shot! Love the shadow and details!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Marc,
    We had a very rewarding time in the frigid north :)

Bill