Thread: Northern Royal Albatross

Peregrine Craig Nash

Default Northern Royal Albatross

Attached Images Attached Images

I went on a Albatross Watch at Kaikoura NZ today it had to be one of the best birding experiences I have ever had.
    It was very bright and so had to underexpose heavily. 1d2n Sigma 10-20 at 16mm iso 200 f7.1 1/2500sec.
    I know there is an airline trail :-( but Im afraid I was holding the camera inches off the water so didnt concentrate on background.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great comp and low angle, love it! ¡It is like you gave us the feeling of being an Albatros for a while, great exposure and stunnig detail. congratulations!

Axel Hildebrandt

Very cool image. I like the angle and details. If it is not full frame, I would add a bit space top and right and try to get more details in the shadows and remove the specular highlights behind the bird.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting perspective, you could only get at Kaikoura. I think the bird is a Wandering Albatross (Gibson's). Royal Albatross have a distinctive black cutting edge to the bill and at this age are snowy white, they do not have the fine waved dark black feather tips that this bird shows.
    Last edited by Simon Bennett; 02-17-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Stunning composition and excellent exposure. The detail is wonderful and the low angle just puts it over for me. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the impressively low angle. I haven't done any bird photography at 16mm of focal length, but it sure does help with the DOF! I would add a little space to the top and bottom of the frame and remove the specular highlights in the water.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Looks like you had a lovely day for it, Craig.Well done with the low angle wide angle lens. I agree with Simon's ID comments. The vapour trail should be an easy edit to remove. A tiny puff of fill flash would have been useful to minimise contrast and open up the shadow on the neck
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Ákos Lumnitzer

THe perspective is what makes this so good. These birds are so big! I would like to see a little more head turn to get a better look at its bill. I do love this image though! :)

Jasper Doest

So next time you go out birding, bring a waterproof housing ;-) It would have been an awesome capture if you could have taken this at an even lower angle, bringing more bird above the horizon. Now the horizon is cutting-off the head, which is a bit distracting. Experience-wise this must have been thrilling!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb shot. It must have been a great experience to have photographed this and even better for the shot to have turned out so well.