Thread: Morning Palm

David Roach

Default Morning Palm

Attached Images Attached Images

Caught this cutie one morning a few weeks back at Anhinga Trail. I liked how the OOF reeds mirrored the birds shades. 1dmkiin 400do 1.4xtc ISO 200 F11@1/256

Glenn Ehmke

Beautiful David,

I love the way the reeds in BG work with the birds plumage as well. Could loose a tiny bit off the top maybe.
    P.S.
    I notice you have the 400 DO. Do you find it suffers much with the 1.4x TC - looks quite good here, but I have often found it to be quite soft so generally use it straight?

David Roach

Hey Glenne,
    Actually, I find the 400 DO works "quite well" with both the 1.4 and 2x teleconverters. See my earlier post "getting close" for another 1.4 example (also used extension tube on that). I found the trick is to stop down a bit when using the TCs. At least to F8+ for 1.4 and F11+ for 2x. I will be posting examples of both in the future. I'm probabaly belaboring the obvious, but also assure you are making allowance for the extra range (that is from 400 to 560(1.4 case) or 800(2x case)) by shortening exposure time (faster shutter speed) for better sharpness (especially if hand holding). With those considerations, I find this lens works exceptionally well with the canon TCs.
    Peace,
    David

Del Cockroft

A very pleasant image. A pity the leaf is cutting across the rear of the bird as it distracts a little.

Glenn Ehmke

Thanks a bunch for that advise David.

I read your other post "Getting close" and talk about deja vu, I did exactly the same thing (from 100-400 to 400DO) and the min focal length was also the 1st thing that bugged me. Sounds like I'd better order an extension tube ASAP, that owl shot is fantastic!
    Other than the min focal dist and the slight softness on the 1.4x TC I love the lens - sharper and faster than the the 1-400 and almost as light.
    Thanks for the other tips also - stopping down makes good sense as well. I'll have another crack with the TC next time I'm out.

PS, the other advise I've had re the 400DO that has helped me, is that it gives a little less contrast than other lenses - I find adding 5-10% of black to neutrals and blacks with selective colour in PS fixes that right up.

Look fw to seeing more posts.

Glenn