Thread: Female violet sabrewing hummingbird

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female violet sabrewing hummingbird

Hi to all. I've been experimenting with different lighting and backgrounds for my hummingbirds. I'm going for plenty of texture, strong backlight, and a bit of shadow to keep things natural yet still interesting in terms of the illumination. Hopefully I've succeeded. I was happy with the composition and also to get good detail in both the black and the white tail feathers, always a challenge for this species.

This is a female violet sabrewing visiting some begonia flowers on my front porch here in Costa Rica.

Tech info: Canon 5D, Canon 300 mm f2.8, 25 mm ext. tube, f13, 1/160, ISO 320, tripod, cable release, Canon flashes set at 1/16 power, fabric background based on natural OOF backgrounds I've achieved in other bird photography here

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

STUNNING lightning and pose! Great comp too Greg, lovely BG, detail and coors, you could try to tone down the whites, but this is one terrific shot! Congratualtions!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The "balet dancer" pose is fantastic. Great overall picture, well composed and sharp.

Philip Pietri

Hummingbirds sure do know how to pose! The fanned tail is incredible and the green on the bird is the perfect accent considering your smooth and rich green background. I might dodge the catch-light in the eye a tad. Beautiful composition.

c.w. moynihan

The perfect bg Greg..."El Naturale". A bg I wished we used more in Costa Rica 2008. Cheers mate !

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Greg you are lucky for having these beauties visiting your porch. Mine only receives visits of common sparrows (oh, and the postman, of course :-D). I agree with Ramón about the whites. The bird´s pose couldn´t be better and I love your set up. Very good job with the "colibrís"

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg: Very nice image. the bird pose is very nice. Great detail. I'd love to see a bit more variance in the background color. Just a touch of variance would add a great deal to a very fine image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful detail, exposure & background. A real beauty, Greg!

Blake Shadle

Killer image, Greg. Excellent composition, exposure and sharpness. I think the image might be stronger without the leaves entering the left-middle of the frame. Great work.