Thread: Robin

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Robin

Attached Images Attached Images

I had a wonderful day yesterday walking around College Lake Wildlife Centre near Tring. At one point of the walk I noticed this Robin. He (I'll assume it's a he!) was totally unafraid of me and allowed me to photograph him at various perches and distances. :)

Technical Details:
    Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 300mm f/2.8 + 1.4 extender (420mm), monopod, 1/640 @ f/8, ISO400. Image output from Lightroom into Photoshop, some noise reduction and a little sharpening.

All comments welcome, I'm very keen to learn!

Cheers,
    Ben

Nonda Surratt

What a lovely bird, great colors and detail, wish our Robins looks so pretty!:) Quite a lot to really like about this image, nice job!

Only thing that sorta bothers me is the bird seems a bit low in the frame? Wish there was a bit less on top I think and a bit more on the bottom?

George DeCamp

Beautiful bird, I like this image as well!! If pressed for a nit or 2 I would say maybe a little off the top and the out of focus lower branch bothers me a little it takes my eye off the bird. A little bit more of a head turn would have given you a better catch light as well.

I'll tell you though this image stands well as is, you did really well with this!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks for your kind comments. :)

Good points about the vertical positioning and oof branch (he was sat in a bush for this photo) and head turn/catch light. I can use these next time :)

Cheers,
    Ben

Judd Patterson

Yes, you did have a great day yesterday, Ben. This is a fine image. I really like the sharpness and the habitat that shows gently through your background and foreground. Good work!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Judd! I had a lot of fun with this guy. He kept on getting too close for the lens to focus so I'd spend that time just looking and chatting to him (yeah, I know it's daft but he seemed to be listening!). At one point he flew right at me, almost perching on the lens hood. Instead he hopped 6 inches back and admired his reflection in the lens!

If ever I needed a second camera body it was then. I could have taken a couple of steps back and had a wonderful image of a robin looking down the 300mm! :)

Gautam Biswas

And a tripod Ben, as when you would step back to make the image, the 1DIII with the 300mm will need more than a monopod to stand on!!
    Jokes apart, a wonderful image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOL! Thanks Gautam, forgot to mention, at that point the camera and lens were leaning on a sturdy wooden fence so wouldn't have needed the tripod! :)

Maybe time to post one of those images on the general forums!