Thread: Goosander

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Goosander

Hi

A new species for me. Difficult to approach and a tough exposure. Taken yesterday on a large upland lake in North Wales. The dark water was created by the reflection of the hills on the far side of the lake. I intend to return again to these beautiful birds!!

Taken with 1D mk3 and 500mm lens at ISO 400 F5.6 -0.67EV at 1/500s

Cheers

Rich

Judy Lynn Malloch

Love the pose in this one Rich and the low angle. The exposure is excellent and I like the detail you were able to capture around the neck area. Beautiful lighting and very nice eye contact although a slight more head turn would have been nice but really love this species and congratulations.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Attached Images Attached Images

This is lovely, Rich. I really like the dark BG and water and agree this is a difficult exposure situation. I think a bit more detail on the dark head is extractable (localised curves adjustment masked to head) and have tried a crop from below to lower the bird in the image. I like the water drops but feel the one big one is a bit eye-catching. Judy has mentioned the head angle. Well done.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Axel Hildebrandt

Cool pose and details and I like Tony's repost because of the details in the shadows and composition.

Tony House

Like the repost too, more detail and green showing on the head, comp and pose look nice too.
    Good luck on your next visit....

Nice work.
    Tony

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like what Tony did to the bird's head. This is a terrific image, Rich. The bird is sharp and the pose is very interesting (personally, I don't see any need for a head turn here), the subtle detail in the whites is superb, and I love the background.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the replies and comments. Tony thank you for taking the time to do the repost. You did a great job bringing out the detail in those head feathers. I couldn't decide whether to take out the large water drop and decided to leave it in the end.

Cheers

Rich

Threads
    Thank You Posts

For the head, I would go for something in between the ORIG and the repost as there is something magical about a darker head. The image is superb. Had you been ten yards to the left you would have had a contest winner; as is the bird is angled slightly away from you. Get out and get some more on this species! I do like the elimination of the largest drop of water.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.