Thread: Shrooms

Todd Frost

Default Shrooms

Attached Images Attached Images

Came upon this group of mushrooms while out looking for birds at a local lake, 4002.8 w/tc not your normal flora /macro lens:).
    D300, 400 f2.8, 1.4tc, F4, 1/500, iso800, Man exp

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques appreciated.

Todd

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the shape and attitude of these mushrooms. They seem saucy to me. I would crop off the bottom out of focus green, which does not add to the picture

Anita Bower

Julie Kenward

Todd, these are beautiful and I think you did a great job of capturing them in their habitat. I would agree that you don't need all the OOF green at the bottom - leave enough to lead the eye into the mushrooms and do away with the rest. I'd also consider trying to clone the small twigs that are bending in from the greenery on the left side of the frame towards the mushrooms. I find them a bit distracting. If you can't take them out it's not a deal breaker but I feel the image would be "cleaner" with them gone. Nice exposure and very nice use of a not-so-ordinary macro lens!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll second the comments above. Great job on the mushrooms as main subject, and placement of the BG OOF mushrooms gives a great repetition here. I like the idea of the OOF FG, but less of it will bring more attention to the rest of the image, and heighten the feeling of sneaking up on these mushrooms.

I also like Jules' stick cloning idea, and even better if you can do it in the field without disturbing the shrooms.

Ed Vatza

Nothing to add here. Anita, Jules and Bruce have hit it all.

Back early in 2008, we had a mushroom/fungus expert from down under in Australia who posted some marvelous images. You may find it interesting to search the archives here.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with the above.
    Excellent use of DOF and composition.
    Arguably adding a bit of light on the mushrooms (via a reflector) could make it more powerful.

Mike Moats

Hey Todd, great job on the shrooms, agree with other on a crop at the bottom.

Gus Cobos

Hi Todd,
    I like the base image and capture...agree with Julie on taking half of the oof from the bottom of the frame. this places more attention on your subject...good show...:cool: