Thread: Osprey Show Off

Denis Glennon

Default Osprey Show Off

Attached Images Attached Images

The light was generous for a few moments on the nest, when this juvenile landed in the 'spotlight'.
    Canon 1DMkIII
    400mm DO lens
    1/2500 sec
    f/4.5
    ISO 400
    Av
    No Flash

Comments by Moderators on earleir images have been enormously helpful; thank you sincerely.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great pose and BG. I wish the entire bird were sunlit for stronger impact and the whites have a slight blue cast on my monitor.

Denis Glennon

Axel,
    Thank you.
    Yes, there is a slight blue cast on the BPN version.
    I have checked the original and it contains no blue at all ...... a bit of a mystery.
    Next time this osprey lands I too hopes she does the right thing and does not shy away from centre stage and the 'spotlight' !
    Thanks Again,
    Kind Regards,
    Denis.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Glennon View Post
    Axel,
    Thank you.
    Yes, there is a slight blue cast on the BPN version.
    I have checked the original and it contains no blue at all ...... a bit of a mystery.
    Next time this osprey lands I too hopes she does the right thing and does not shy away from centre stage and the 'spotlight' !
    Thanks Again,
    Kind Regards,
    Denis.
    I don't know how easily spooked this osprey is, maybe you could use some fill flash in a situation like this. As for the cast that is easy to fix in ACR or whatever program you use.

Denis Glennon

Axel,
    I photographed this oprey from a distance of 150-200 yards, maybe further, so not sure how helpful flash would be.
    I use Photoshop CS3, and as there is no apparent blue cast on my calibrated monitor, what do you suggest I use in ACR?
    Thanks,
    Denis.

Axel Hildebrandt

Axel,
    I photographed this oprey from a distance of 150-200 yards, maybe further, so not sure how helpful flash would be.
    I use Photoshop CS3, and as there is no apparent blue cast on my calibrated monitor, what do you suggest I use in ACR?
    Thanks,
    Denis.
    Oh, at that distance you would need a pretty powerful flash. :) If the bird was 200 yards away, this must be a pretty heavy crop. I use a better beamer for my flash but that wouldn't do much good at this distance.

In ACR you can raise or lower the color temperature. For example, if this is maybe 4800 Kelvin, you could try to raise it to 5200 or so to see if it looks more like what you remember.

Raymond Packard

Don't juveniles have orange eyes?

Denis Glennon

Axel,
    Thanks for info on Kelvin adjustment; appreciated. I will revisit the original.
    I used a 600mm, plus a 1.4 converter on a Canon 1DMkIII, giving me a 35mm equivalent telephoto 'reach' of nearly 1100 mm.
    The viewfinder was pretty much filled up, so not much cropping required.
    Regards,
    Denis.

Denis Glennon

Raymond,
    I have never seen an 'orange' coloured eye in any osprey in Australia, and I have looked straight into lots of them.
    Regards,
    Denis Glennon AO

Axel Hildebrandt

Axel,
    Thanks for info on Kelvin adjustment; appreciated. I will revisit the original.
    I used a 600mm, plus a 1.4 converter on a Canon 1DMkIII, giving me a 35mm equivalent telephoto 'reach' of nearly 1100 mm.
    The viewfinder was pretty much filled up, so not much cropping required.
    Regards,
    Denis.
    That explains it. In your original post it says 400mm.

Raymond Packard

Hi Denis,
    Glad to see your name & work here, Give me a call some time, my names in the book.
    P.S. My appology , on the eye color.
    Ray

Raymond Packard

Denis,
    Forget about the call, when did you move to Australia? I may have you mixed up with a Denis Glennon from Northfield, CT
    Let me know.
    Ray Packard

Denis Glennon

Raymond,
    I think you have someone else in mind.
    Thanks for the thought & welcome to BPN.
    Regards,
    Denis

Del Cockroft

It seems absolutely incredible to me that this was taken at a distance of 150-200yards. I reckon I need some new lens.

Denis Glennon

Del,
    See my earlier note in this thread which provides details of the lens/camera configuration used for the image.
    Regards,
    Denis Glennon AO

Del Cockroft

Denis, I have no problem with your lens/camera configuration, but I'd be lucky to get an image like this, with my 400mm f2.8 AFS, at 150-200 feet!!!! Don't get me wrong, it's a great capture and all power to your elbow etc. Keep 'em coming.