Thread: A Crow

Nonda Surratt

Default A Crow

Attached Images Attached Images

Crows give me fits, crow on a plain blue sky is boring (sky has been helped) crow is as taken except for sharpening. Don likes it, maybe because he has seen to many Crow blob images (mine). I'm not sure.

M111, 300f2.8+2xtc, @f7.1, ISO 400, 1/2000, +2/3

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

did you use flash? sure looks it! nice looking bird and super job with the bg! me likes!

William Malacarne

Nonda

I like it but might look good in more of a pano crop.

Bill

Oscar Zangroniz

Great capture Nonda. Very well placed in the frame. Maybe a pano would work a little better. Anyhow I like the background and details.

Nonda Surratt

Attached Images Attached Images

I don't own a flash Mr H (thanks)... Bill, not sure about the pano (I had no clue how to deal with this crop wise) but I think some off the top would help??

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Exposure looks good, wing position looks good, and the background looks good !

Question for those who like pano format: can you actually print a photo in long, pano format?

I think cropping off some from the top will make it too tight up there.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Nonda, The BG colors are beautiful! Like the shot-agree w/ pano crop

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the upright wings Nonda. Am wondering if you can bring out any more detail in the blacks with S/H or screening. Not sure about the BG. Desmond you can print any size. My printer will print 13 x 19 so in the printing box you click scale to fit media, or if you want it bigger you would have to go to a professional printer. The new Epson prosumer printer will go 17 " wide and about 44" long. (Think it may be the 3800 model).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nonda Surratt View Post
    I don't own a flash Mr H (thanks)...
    You don't need no stinkin' flash.

Bill, not sure about the pano (I had no clue how to deal with this crop wise) but I think some off the top would help??
    Your eyes seem to be clues enough. I think you nailed the crop. The only thing I might (might) have done differently is put the pink gradient on the bottom -- like the rising/setting sun.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

David, Great idea!

Gus Cobos

Hi Nonda,
    I like it as presented...well composed, with sharp details, a raised wing, good head angle, sharp eye and a lovely tri-colored sky...good show...:cool:

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Nonda:

Nice capture of a difficult bird to photograph.

Thanks for sharing your very pleasing capture.

Uncle Gus

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are really great at these small fast moving birds. I believe I would try a sky blue with a few white clouds for the background. Black and blue go well together---just a thought.

Nonda Surratt

Well that is cool..I like the flip of colors (David) is there and easy way to do that w/o starting over?

Kathy..I thought about the clouds, don't have any nice cloud BGs and have no clue how to make them (clouds)

Thanks All.
    Last edited by Nonda Surratt; 12-31-2008 at 06:09 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well that is cool..I like the flip of colors (David) is there and easy way to do that w/o starting over?
    Sure. Instead of the color image, go to the green or blue channel and use the magic wand at its default setting (32 levels) to select the background. With that selection, put a mask on a new blank layer and add the gradients.

If you have CS3, you can turn on Refine Edge after selecting the background to make sure it's clean. Hitting Q (for quick mask mode) is another easy way to check a selection before creating a mask.

I used two layers -- a red-to-transparent gradient on one, then a blue-to-transparent gradient above that.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kathy..I thought about the clouds, don't have any nice cloud BGs and have no clue how to make them (clouds)
    If you Google Photoshop cloud brushes, you can find quite a few sets for free. With this image, it's an interesting exercise in composition to pop in different clouds in different places and see the effect. It's also hard to decide which one makes a more pleasing composition.

Nonda Surratt

Well how cool is that again:-) Will look for the brushes and give the switching a try, I'm pretty CS3 illiterate, fumbling around a lot!

Alfred Forns

Lovely image and fantastic re posts !!! Fine Job David looks very natural !!

... btw does anyone know what is the bluish color below the pink? ....... :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Forns View Post
    Lovely image and fantastic re posts !!! Fine Job David looks very natural !!

... btw does anyone know what is the bluish color below the pink? ....... :)
    Thanks, Alfred. Here's a little free utility that's very handy for grabbing colors off of websites. You can copy a hex value and paste it into the PS color picker. Voila! The little + sign is the sample point.

Gail Spitler

My vote goes to cloudless background with blue above, pink below. For me, it is an image that catches my eye and I am held by it... kind of meditative.
    Can you squeeze any more detail out of the bird?

Happy New Year
    Gail

Alfred Forns

Thanks David Very useful !!