Thread: Eastern Screech Owl

Taylor Yeager

Default Eastern Screech Owl

Today payed off with this little fella. I was able to call it out of a hole and chorus back and forth for quite some time. This image was made in the middle of one of his whinnies!

20D 500mm w/1.4
    700mm
    1/100 f/8 ISO 400 Handheld

~Taylor

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The exposure is good. I am undecided about the compostion. Would have to see what is above the nest hole to know for sure

The image is not sharp. If your specs are correct: "20D 500mm w/1.4, 700mm, 1/100, f/8, ISO 400, Handheld" it would seem that you are somewhat misguided...

Why handhold at a slow shutter speed with a magnification of apporiximately 23X?

In other words, why not use a tripod?

Why use f/8 when you should have been trying for a fast shutter speed?

Why only ISO 400 when you should have been trying for a fast shutter speed?

Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Nice find, their camouflage works so well. Adding to Artie's comments I would have tried fill flash to get some details in the shadows.

Taylor Yeager

Thanks for the comments. I feel that this image is plenty sharp for my tastes. This has no PP sharpening. Would someone be so kind as to sharpen this up to their tastes to compare? it is ISO 400 because I did not want to introduce a lot of noise in the tree cavity, which my 20d would gladly do for me. this bird did not like my tripod. When I brought it out he would go in the hole and not come out?????? I took a ton of shots in many different compositions. What would you suggest? I probably have it. Flash was not used because I feel it would be unnatural looking to be able to see into the cavity.

Thanks for the suggestions!! keep em coming!

~Taylor