Thread: Steller's eagle

michael

Default Steller's eagle

Attached Images Attached Images

Steller's eagle on the pack ice in the Nemuro Straits, Japan.
    Estimates indicate that there may be as few as 2000 of these eagles left in the wild. With an 8 feet wingspan they are a magnificent sight.

1d mk 11, canon 500mm f4.0, 1.4 converter
    1/640, f8.0

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wellcome on board Michael. You choosed a terrific species for your first post. The light and pose of the bird is superb but I think that it is too tight in the frame. More room at the bottom, left and right (much more on the right because the eagle is looking in that direction) would produce a better result. If this image is a crop maybe you could consider the posibibility of a different croping. I am not sure about the reason why but the image looks a litle bit flat on my monitor (maybe you applied too much highlight/shadows filter?) and lacking details in the plumage. Thiscan be due to a big crop or due to the uploading process to BPN (?). Anyhow, the image is really SPLENDID and I would love to see an aptimized version. If you need help just drop me a PM :)
    Juan

PS can´t wait to see more of this Steller´s eagle images;)

michael

Hello Juan
    Thank you for your comments, it looks very flat on my monitor compared with the image I tried to upload, the original image size was around 190kb and the uploaded image was about 50kb.
    Michael

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes the automatic resizing of the uploading process can produce a lost in image quality but yours is under our image size limit (200Kb) Not sure about the reason why :confused:

Michael, I made some levels adjustments in the eagle to try to fix the problem, added some noise reduction to the BG and a litle touch of sharpening for web presentation.

Rene' Villela

Michael, I live in Japan. One of my clients from the North of Japan, is going to take me in January to see if we can find some of these eagles. He tells me that so many of them arrive at the end of December to the Oga peninsula in Akita prefecture. After seeing your images will be very hard waiting until January! thanks!

michael

Thank you Juan your adjustments have made a significant improvement.

Rene, A trip to the north of Japan in January should be just about ideal (not that I am an expert). The best time to see them on the pack ice is after a day of bad weather, they are forced to go out onto the ice to hunt/feed.
    You should also see white tailed sea eagles at the same time.

Michael

Maxis Gamez

I was going to suggest the contrast but Juan nailed it. Good profile image. Remember you can post up to a 200kb image which will prevent low resolution image compression artifacts.

Axel Hildebrandt

Cool bird, pose and setting. I agree on a wider crop and the sharpening issue has been covered.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good advice on a spectacular bird! I agree with Axel about a wider crop. I'd love to see one of these someday.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Michael,
    Even though I like tight crops........this may be just a bit tight........even for me! I really like what Juan did with the re-post........brought out a great deal of details. Takes a while.......but you will get used to the upload compression and figure out a few tricks. No one mentioned it.....so I will.........the snow/ice texture of the BG..........really put this image over the top for me. Nicely done.

Tony House

Fantastic looking bird, shame it's the same old story on the survival of a species.

Great image.
    Tony

Piotr Shpakowski

This bird is like a dream for me.I really like Juan's redaction.I also think that with little more room around the bird would be better.Great light and pose.Congratulations!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The phenomenon of a properly sized image ending up much smaller once downloaded to BPN seems to be a rare and random event. It happened to me once (190k to 30k if I remember). For fun I removed that image and lightly resampled the image in Ps, including bringing up to 96 from 72 dpi (which should have absolutely no effect), and it loaded with almost no reduction in size. I have still not figured out the particular thing I did to the image that fixed the problem. The severely reduced images show massive jpeg anomalies and may have contributed to the softness in the original post here.

This is a magnificent bird that is quite tight in the frame. Love the look back and the brown and yellow colour.

Quick question Michael- when you say pack ice do you mean at sea? If so I did not realise that Japan experienced this.

michael

John
    I am just learning that preparing an image for the web is not as simple as it first appears and is a skill that I have yet to acquire.
    The pack ice occurs at sea and is literally ice floes jammed together by the wind and currents. The place where I took this image was in the Nemuro straits off the most northern of the japanese islands called Hokkaido, it is approximately on the same latitude as Siberia.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael,

Sweet image of an incredible bird.

I am greatly looking forward to going to Japan with you and the group in 2010.

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Chas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I liked the originally posted image but Juan's repost is fabulous. Only need for me would be more room at the bottom. Love the prefect head angle.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.