Thread: Mallard (Female)

Rene' Villela

Default Mallard (Female)

Attached Images Attached Images

Again, I will need help with ID on this other girl. I'm assuming this is a Mallard because of the dark line behind the eye. According to my book it could also be a Baikal Teal but I didn't see any Baikal males at all.

I'll appreciate your critiques and advices. Myself, I just wish I had more room on the bottom but I have no more. I am not sure about the wings position. That I really want your opinion so it will help me in the future. I have some more shots with different wings positions.

D300 - AF-S 300 f/4. AP wide open, 1/2500 sec, ISO 200, EV -0.7, Spot metering.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Possible a Northern pintail hen hard to tell with out seeing more of the feathers on the back side of the wings. Nice action shot

Maxis Gamez

Hi Rene,

I don't know if you noticed but the bird have a band in the left leg. This image should be in the Hand of Man forum.

I think you need more room from the right and bottom as the bird is too close to the edge.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great pose and light. I would put the bird a tad higher and further to the left in the frame.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Rene',
    Your self assesment for more room was correct.......and i also agree with more on the right.......that being said.........this wing position works very well for me......with just enough blur on the back wing...........to give nice seperation from the bill.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice light, pose and comp, I only wish for more room at the bottom, congratulaitons!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent timing on the leap. There's something about the colors (Processing?) that look a bit flat and I think she needs another small pass of sharpening.

Rene' Villela

Maxis... Sorry about that! I hadn't notice that band on her leg! maybe it is a watch! :) Now I have to check the rest of the shots. maybe all the ducks got bands!

Thank you for your comments everyone!