Thread: Patterns

Ed Vatza

Default Patterns

Attached Images Attached Images

Alstroemeria. Bought some cut flowers this afternoon. I really like the patterns seen in this flower.

Canon 30D; Sigma 70mm Macro lens (Image made is 1:1); Velbon Ultra-Luxis tripod; Used available indoor incandescent lighting instead of flash.

1/2 sec @ f/22; ISO 1000; +1 1/3EV; Incandescent WB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You've opted an unusual way to expose this frame Ed. Under normal circumstances I wud tend to immediately remark on bringing down the bright areas; but not in this case.
    For some reason I like this exposure Ed.
    The dotted patterns in the BG petals adds to the image. And I especially liked the inclusion of the pink regions in the LRC.
    However, am not so sure about the left side of the frame where I feel it is a bit too tight. I presume that your idea was to keep the stamens on the diagonal but I still feel that a bit of space on the left & perhaps a little bit on top may be required.
    Just my thoughts... :)

Julie Kenward

Kaushik said exactly what I was thinking! Love the exposure, Ed, even though it isn't "normal" and I even like that the fuscia color on the right looks almost oversaturated. I, too, feel the left side is just a tiny bit crowded. I can see what you were going for and another 1/8-1/4" might have left me feeling less crowded on that side.

I think it's a very unusual image overall and I mean that in a good way. It's hard to take a flower's portrait and not end up with the same ol' thing and this is anything but.

Ed Vatza

Attached Images Attached Images

Kaushik, Julie,

Thank you for bringing a smile to face on this otherwise downer of a day for me. Been in a crappy mood all day. That happens when you get up at 4 am drive 100 miles, spend three hours searching for a Snowy Owl that was nowhere to be found, saw way to many southbound ends of northbound birds, and and came home with virtually nothing worthwhile in the camera.

Anyway, I got a kick out of your comments about the left side of the image. There is a left but I didn't particularly like it so I cropped it out. :) But if you want some, you got it. I went back and put a little of the left side back in. If you want more, let me know. I still have some more on the cutting room floor! :D

Julie Kenward

Yes sir, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Sorry to hear you had a crappy day, Ed. I've been going through the last two months of images and trashing all the ones that aren't up to snuff and it's WAY more than I would like to admit...so I feel your pain. I have several (and by several I mean, oh, like 30!) extremely blurry bluejay images if that would make you feel any better?

Misery loves company so jump on in!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ed, I like your repost a lot. This one looks better balanced. Thanks for posting this one.
    And better luck with snowy owls the next time... :)

Mike Moats

Hey Ed, the repost and the addition on the left side really helped. Good details and comp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Ed, The colors are great and the detail on the stamens could be a stand alone shot! well-done