Thread: Perito Moreno Glacier

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Perito Moreno Glacier

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in January of this year in Argentina.
    I originally posted it in ETL, but have reworked it after reading the thread here on colour balancing, which I tried. Also did a white point and black point in curves.
    I tried to bring out the textures and colours in the ice, but I don't know if it works as a stand alone image. The glacier is about 200 feet high, above the water.
    Taken from a boat.
    20D
    ISO 400
    17-55 @55
    HH
    cropped a little from top and bottom
    0EV
    Polarizer
    Comments would be appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Jackie,
    I think it does stand on it's own. The textures of the ice were brought out very well and the curves in it make very nice pleasing lines. I may add a bit of the base water back in.........but it may add more distracting bergs...which you could clone out if you so choose.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jackie,
    I also think it works very well. I like the horizontal bands of color, each with a different texture, contrasting with the mostly vertical patterns in the upper part of the ice. I think I agree with Roman that adding back just a little more of the green water would add to the overall balance. But that's your call.
    Last edited by Robert Amoruso; 11-22-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Not edited. Accidentally opened it as edit.

Robert Amoruso

Jackie,

I think this works well and you did great bringing out the details in the berg. Agree that more water would strengthen the image. i did notice a pronounced dark halo along the berg and sky - probably an artifact from the processing. If it due to sharpening, do a selection on the sky, invert it, refine edges by contracting the selection so the edge of the berg is not sharpened, feather it 1/2 the amount of the contraction and then sharpen the berg.
    Last edited by Robert Amoruso; 11-22-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert, I was wondering about the edge, I used PK superfine edge sharpener for 800 pixels, thought it produced a line will have to go back and adjust. Thank you all for taking the time to critique!