Thread: Mushroom

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mushroom

Made this image during a walk in the nearby woods. The mushroom was growing in the crevice of a tree trunk. Initially I sharpened the bark too but texture in the bark visually competed with the mushroom. Since I wanted to emphasize more on the mushroom I kept the bark soft (even reduced the contrast a wee bit on the bark).

Techs:
    Nikon D300 + Nikkor 105mm VR micro
    f/13, 1/4, ISO200

Critiques welcome...
    Last edited by Kaushik Balakumar; 11-17-2008 at 10:04 AM.

Julie Kenward

Kaushik, I love the mushroom and the bark but the overall BG is too dark for my monitor. I really find myself struggling to see just a bit more detail around the mushroom. Any thoughts on opening the shadows up just a little bit more?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Julie for the feedback.

Have opened up the shadows a little. Does this look better...? I could open it up further too but I found it over powering. when done so.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kaushik,
    I actually prefer the original. I am not bothered by the dark BG - in fact to me, this emphasises the luminosity of the mushroom - and now that the shadows are opened up I see noise which I find distracting.
    BTW I love the simplicity and composition of the image!
    Regards,
    Nicki

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kaushik,
    Another beautiful composition! Love the way the mushroom cap glows. I think I prefer the BG in your original post, or if lightened, then somewhat less than in the repost. I would suggest (based on the original) lightening just the stem of the mushroom a little bit, so the cap seems more attached and isn't just floating.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kaushik, great image! I also prefer to original dark BG for the reasons stated above. Furthermore, it gives the image that dark forest floor atmosphere in which you usually find these mushrooms.
    - Jerry -

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the original...I would crop down from the top to just below the line on the left.

Mike Moats

Hey Kaushik, I like both the original and the lighter repost. I think the textures of the trunk make for an interesting BG and wouldn't try to hide it or soften the focus.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I also dont mind either BG, and the mushroom really stands out nicely. Well spotted Kaushik.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Kaushik, I like both pictures too but maybe with a preference for the atmosphere on the first one with this glowy mushroom in the dark... Well seen and good comoposition. The only thing maybe is that I would have removed the whitish trace in the upper left corner of the image.

Excellent job!

Michel