Thread: Illinois Red Tailed Hawk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Illinois Red Tailed Hawk

Attached Images Attached Images

Took the following image at marsh south of Peoria along the Illinois River. I have removed a few affending branches from the image and blurred the BC with a gaussian blur and sharpened the hawk a bit, all in PS. The shooting particulars are as follows: Nikon D2X, 500mm lens with 1.4x extender, f/9.0, 1/500, exposure compensation -.65, ISO400. Shot off a bean bag. Let me know whether I am getting any better. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks:

Wheeler McDougal

P.S. I really like the critiques and the whole site! :):):)

Alfred Forns

Hi Wheeler I think you are Did as well as could be expected Got a good exposure on the bird framed it between the main branches without overlap Might have gone slightly right so the head would not merge with the trunk

Light was from your right causing some shadows Birds is these places are always tough Would suggest opening all the way to blur the bg as much as possible !!!

hugh robateau

Hi Wheeler, I like the pose and the way you cropped. My suggestion would be to try to focus on the eyes because they look a little soft. Also, the branch in front and above your subject is a little distracting.
    Happy shooting,
    Hugh

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image. Focal point seems to be on the feathers right over the feet area. The eye looks a little blured on my computer. Good work.

Fabs Forns

Hi Wheeler, Good exposure and frame.
    As mentioned, the eyes look a little soft, maybe another round of sharpening in them will make this better.