Thread: Bass Harbor Light - Maine

Michael Pancier

Default Bass Harbor Light - Maine

I went all the way to Bar Harbor Maine just to shoot this lighthouse and I lucked out with the light.

I opted for a pm shot and I'm glad I did as the other side of the light for the AM shot requires more rock walking and those rocks with equipment is a pain. I got there and found a prime spot with about 4 other photographers (3 of them from a photo tour from the UK). By the time I left after sundown, there were over 30 photographers and tripods scattered over the rocks. Reminded me of one of Artie's IPT's. :D

This was a 3 image HDR taken at -2, 0, and +2. I'm so glad I purchased the 24mm Tilt/Shift lens at it came in real handy here. rather than tilt the camera up and risk distortion, I simply balanced the tripod head so that it was perfectly level and then tilted that baby up to get the optimal composition. I bought it for lighthouse shots, and it definitely was worth it. I practically used it on almost all my light shots.

The pic was taken with the 5d + Canon 24mm T/S Lens
    B&W Polarizer
    F/18
    ISO 160

processed in Photomatix Pro.

Lance Warley

It all went right at the same time, Mike.

Beautiful.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Michael, This is an excellent shot. The colors, the lighting , the FG . All great!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely beautiful!! Been there a few times and did not get an image of that quality. Nice job!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

fantastic michael!! looks like you are having a great time up there. does look to need a little CW rotation. other than that, love that light!!

Ed Vatza

Know this lighthouse well. We visit it every year but I have never seen it look better. Absolutely beautiful. It all came together perfectly. We'll be back in June. I'll have to make a note to check out sunset (much later in June than October! ;)) instead of always early mornings.

Joanna Trescott

Absolutely beautiful!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have seen hundreds of BHL photos and this by far the BEST!!! Bob

Robert Amoruso

I have been to this one many times and agree, afternoon is best. I also prefer this view over the other direction. Again, great HDR work.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely light. Little bit CW rotation. I would prefer to crop a bit from the bottom. You are putting the 24 T/S to good use. Nice HDR.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Michael,
    Sweet light and a great job on the HDR. I have never been fortunate enough to get a sky like that...........and have been there plenty of times..........needles to say.......a bit jealous. Great job.