Thread: Egyptian Goose

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Egyptian Goose

Attached Images Attached Images

This was on my first encounter with these birds back in last June at the Carl-Zeiss bird watching station near Hamburg, Germany (http://www.nabu.de/m03/m03_03/03676.html). They have luxury fixed blinds there, which is great, but permit only a certain angle to shoot through (no low-angles at all). Won't complain about the solid wooden huts with seating available, though, nor the show outside :-)

Christof

Technical data:
    Nikon D70, Tokina 300/f4 with Kenko TC 1.4x from tripod,
    AP mode at f6.3 with matrix metering resulted in 1/1000s at ISO 400.
    Raw conversion with NC4, resizing, some levels, with CS3 including edge mask to sharpen. This is quite a crop, I'll show the full canvas in a post below.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canvas for photo

Attached Images Attached Images

As promised, here is the full canvas of the image. I am actually quite unsure about where to crop. I tried it tighter than the version above, but then the poor bird has no room.

Alfred Forns

Hi Cristof I moved this since it has the before and after Will get more comments here

I like the selected cropping Best position for the goose Excellent feather detail and love the open beak Might have wanted a slight head turn but looks very good Only clean water would have improved the image !!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with the expert comments above
    The crop fits the rule of 1/3's and works nicely to create a pleasing image

I might have preferred the beak out of the water - - but you take what's given to you.
    You could also consider re-aligning the pupil and sharpening th eye a bit more - - but that's a minor nit

Nice effort - well done