Thread: Fall Fern

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fall Fern

Attached Images Attached Images

This Bracken Fern caught my eye on the way home. It was lit up so nicely with a colorful fall background.

Canon 10D
    Canon 75-300 IS
    F4 @ 1/250th sec
    3021 bogen tripod and 3055 ballhead

All comments appreciated.
    God's light and love to all,

Chris

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Chris,
    Beautiful contrast of complementary colors -- always a big draw for the eye! The lighting looks very nice, soft and even. DOF is good overall -- the fern is sharp and the BG nicely blurred, but there's no way you could have kept the frond at the lower right in focus since it's pointed nearly straight toward the camera. I'd suggest cropping that out. The BG could use some noise reduction. The rather large black area at lower left is a bit distracting. The typical suggestion would be try a different camera angle to get a more uniform BG, but in this case you needed to keep the camera back parallel to the fern to control DOF, so I don't really think that was an option. I suppose you could fill in that dark area with color cloned from other parts of the BG, if you're inclined to.

A very pretty, eye-catching fall image!

Chris

Julie Kenward

The colors are beautiful, Chris! The dark spots are, however, a bit distracting. I would think if you had perhaps knelt down and looked up at the fern you would have been able to get even more color in the BG and a lot less of the shadow areas.

Robert O'Toole

Hi chris,

The plan was very good and the results are nice. The light is nice and soft and the comp is nice.

As Chris mentioned the BG noise is a little but of a problem, but NR will help. Also this is a good idea of checking your BG in the field. I would guess than moving a foot or 2 to the right or left, or up or down, might have cleaned up the BG and gotten rid of the black blotches.

Robert

Mike Moats

Hey Chris I like the idea and the colors, I think the fern running on a diagonal would have been a stronger comp. The ferns straight up vertical position looks to composed.