Thread: Great Egret

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Egret

This bird has its head tucked in to the feathers of its back on a cold/foggy morning. The upper left corner was challenging because of the various things in the background. Since I couldn't eliminate this corner, I chose to maneuver so that I'd have light-colored water in that corner instead of a dark tree trunk.

Technical stuff:

Date: late December 2007
    Camera: Leica R8/DMR (is this allowed here?)
    Lens: Leitz 560mm f/6.8 with extension tube
    Support: Shoulder stock with monopod
    Exposure: 1/125 sec @ f/6.8, metered manually

All comments welcome.

Mike Poe

Would like to have seen a "glint" in the eye. Based on conditions you reported use of a flash would have been necessary to achieved this.

Camera: Leica R8/DMR (is this allowed here?) ...No Doug I'm sorry please box it up and send to me ; )

Steve Foss

Doug, this is a special portrait, IMO. The strong diagonal slash from the stark bill plays nicely on the soft feather textures, and the eye also is a key player, as it is in most avian photographs. Good job on the upper left corner. Some of the whites, particularly in the top quadrant of the image, look a little hot on my monitor and lacking in detail. Some shadows/highlights in photoshop, maybe? Or maybe it's my monitor. Great job.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Foss View Post
    Some of the whites, particularly in the top quadrant of the image, look a little hot on my monitor and lacking in detail. Some shadows/highlights in photoshop, maybe? Or maybe it's my monitor. Great job.
    That would be limited DOF. Thanks for the comments.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is art for me!
    Nice and subtle colors.