Thread: Young Black Shouldered Kite in flight

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Default Young Black Shouldered Kite in flight

Taken with a Canon 30D on the 8th Jan 2008 at the Edithvale Wetlands, Melbourne Australia, Late afternoon using a Canon 300mm F4 L with Canon 1.4 converter (420mm) X 1.6 crop, RAW format 1/800 sec F10. iso 400. Sharpened in CS3 and cropped at 66%.

Axel Hildebrandt

Welcome to BPN! Very nice wing position. I wish the angle were less steep so the right wing wouldn't cover part of the head. I would apply some NR since the image has some noise. The bird is a bit too centered for my taste. I would give him more space to fly into. Keep them coming.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Thanks Axel, great to be on a site with folk who have the experience and generosity to help us enthusiastic but poorly educated photographers.

I will value all advice greatly.

Thanks again I may revisit my saved original RAW file and try some mods and post again.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Although it is great the eye shows so well, wing position could be better. I also see the noise.. possibly from the crop?

Nicole Brooker

Hi Chris. I suspect the noise is from the crop. It's a shame that the position of the wing slightly covers the head. Otherwise the wing position is nice. Denise and I are going to Werribee in a couple of weeks so hopefully we get some nice raptor photo opportunities.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN. I think the main issue here is the wing position covering the birds head. In terms of post processing this is a good image to apply selective noise removal on just the BG.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Thank you all for your advice.

I am VERY new to noise reduction techniques and have just purchased Noise Ninja and installed the 30D profiles, now to the hard bit.

Understanding the instructions.

Hi Nicole, I am off to the Seaford Wetlands today for a change of location.
    Last edited by Christopher C.M. Cooke; 01-13-2008 at 05:11 PM.