Thread: Snowy Egret

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snowy Egret

This is my first post in this forum.

This Image was captured today at a small lake in east Orlando.
    Canon 40D with the 100-400IS zoom at 400mm f5.6 at 1/500sec handheld

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Maxis Gamez

Hi Bill and Welcome to BPN.

The low angle makes this image very strong, I also like the contrast between the BG and your subject. Looks like you captured this image at somewhat harsh light but at the right angle you can get away with it sometimes. Overall, I like the composition but perhaps a small crop from the top would enhance your image even more.

Dan Elster

I agree about the low angle although I kind of find myself wishing to see the legs. Nice and sharp.

Michael Rosenbaum

The diagonal posture of the bird makes for strong composition. A tad more detail in the feathers (ISO 100 perhaps?) would elevate the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image is sharp and the basic compostion is good. And the whites are a bit hot. (Note to Michael: you need to change the exposure compensation--not the ISO--to be sure of getting detail in the whites.)I agree about wanting to see the legs, and the bird's head is turned slightly away rather than slightly towards you which is generally preferred.

Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Michael Rosenbaum

Of course that's right, Art. I was limiting myself to improving the photo within the parameter of the settings displayed. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. Michael

Linda Robbins

Hi Bill, and welcome to BPN!

I like your low perspective which gave you the soft oof grasses in the foreground, and your placement of the bird in the frame with more room in front than behind works well. As mentioned, you just needed a little more room at the bottom for the virtual legs. A white subject against such a dark bg can be a tricky exposure, which Artie has explained above. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your comments on this image. I took another photo in this series and tried to incorporate some of the suggestions.

Thanks Again.