Thread: Stormy perch

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stormy perch

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi everybody,
    I wonder if this works for you - not the typical portrait, and a very busy BG.

On a visit to a zoo I kept hearing this blue peacock calling, until I found him sitting on this rather massive tree. It was a very stormy day, so he was also busy not to be blown off his perch.

The wind made also for quite some movement in the trees, and though I made two dozen photos of him, they all look pretty different without the bird having moved much. I like this one, as it has this light green, slightly dreamy vignette caused by moving foliage.

Looking at the image today, I wonder if fill flash could have been employed here, given the FG leaves.

Christof

Technical data: D70 with Tokina 300/f4 at f5.6, 1/320s, ISO 400 manual exposure, manual focus, WB set to Direct Sunlight, using tripod. Shown uncropped. Raw conversion in NC 4, some dodging in CS3 on the bird necessary as he sat in the shade.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Christof
    I like the light colored BG to show off the bird....and you have him singing. Glad to see that you used a tripod......it's always a benefit when it's not an inconvenience. I think it might have more impact if the bird were a tad larger in the frame but with a clean view. I think the biggest distraction that I find is the leaves that obstruct the branch and tail.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Lana, thanks for the comment - yes, I agree, the green leaves blocking the trunk are disturbing me, too.

Here is another version where I had moved one step left to get the clear view. Lighting was rather harsh, but here, fill flash might have worked?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh yeah....now we're talking!!! Much better. Flash would have worked here without the interference of the leaves in front as the last image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Cristof,

I like that you captured the peacock calling in the tree. I usually see them on the ground unless it's dark and they are roosting. The lighting on the bird is less than ideal with much of the bird in shadow. I do like the way the bright leaves in the bg set off the bird, but they are close enough and in focus enough that they are also a distraction. The biggest problem is the oof fg branch and leaves. To improve the image I would have tried to use more focal length from farther away to reduce the steep angle and I would have used a large aperture to make the bg as oof as possible. Of course I don't know the situation there and my suggestions may not have been possible.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim,
    your comments are appreciated. I was pleased with my composition, the colors and the sharpness I could achieve. I made the photo last May, and revisiting it now I do agree that my OOF control needs to be better. I am still reluctant to open wide up, as I experience quite some CA with that lense on f/4, but using the TC and moving farther away might definitely have helped here.
    Many thanks and regards!
    Christof