Thread: Egret Fight

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Egret Fight

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created last February 22 at 5:25PM at the Venice Florida Audubon Rookery. Using a Canon 20D and Canon EF500mm f4 IS lens and an exposure of 1/4000th @ F5.6, ISO 200, the image was very underexposed and needed work.
    The Great Egrets have not returned to the rookery for nesting as yet.

Axel Hildebrandt

Very nice, John. The back light works very well. I like the poses and interaction and just wish for better separation between bill and wing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful capture.
    It's surprising how some of these underexposed shots of white birds can come out so well.
    I always underexpose a bit to prevent shots being blown out but have occasionally accidentally made large minus EV which were salvageable !!!

Maxis Gamez

Hi John,

I like this a lot, very strong contrast but works well with the action.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely with the light coming throught the wings, and you did a good job controlling the noise. Best of all, I like the careful framing. You even got the toes of the lower bird in the frame. Way to go.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Linda Robbins

Very nice poses of both birds, and the backlighting works well in this image. I especially like the bush showing through the far wing on the lower bird. Well done!