Thread: BWT

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default BWT

Name:  20240424-Blue-Winged-Teal-Drake-SPREAD-Brian-Sump-BSR52656-Edit-Edit-SHARPEN-v6.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  568.6 KB

A local reservoir named Chatfield is one of the great migratory lakes in our area. The past year they raised the water level drastically and it has changed where birds forage and how we can shoot them.

Thankfully, there are a couple very small, newly formed ponds right at the entrance holding some of the excess water. I stopped there this week with Vaughn Larsen and we found some Cinnamon Teal. I returned last Wednesday and was blessed to find some Blue-Winged Teal, and caught this drake banking upon exit.

Canon R5
    840mm
    Handheld
    1/6400
    ISO 1250
    f7.1

LR and PS. Added a small sliver left at final crop and blended one bright spot at bottom. As a preference, I left the water drops as there were multiple.

Note - the back and tail feathers were slightly shaded and so the darker plumage there is pronounced by a slightly off-angle from the sun.
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 04-28-2024 at 05:41 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super banking pose captured Brian ....
    Perfectly timed and well executed , plumage looks great albeit I personally would keep it a touch " lighter " in the very dark parts .... personal taste ... or would try to lift them albeit they have been in shade .
    Stunning BG paired with the lovely color palette in the subject ... very very nice !!
    I would prefer a classy 3x2 crop instead of the boxy .... version .
    Sadly I can see the shortcomings of the rolling shutter effect , I have tried flight shots with my R6 II with various birds .... from small songbirds at a feeder or larger once in the mountains . Finally I deleted them all .... due to the rolling shutter .

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, nice flight shot and I like the slight angle/banking pose. I too prefer an image less 'contrasty' in look, but also if the bird is quite rich in colour, then a less saturated backdrop would add better separation. I find the two compete, just my take, other I know will disagree.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Super banking pose captured Brian ....
    Perfectly timed and well executed , plumage looks great albeit I personally would keep it a touch " lighter " in the very dark parts .... personal taste ... or would try to lift them albeit they have been in shade .
    Stunning BG paired with the lovely color palette in the subject ... very very nice !!
    I would prefer a classy 3x2 crop instead of the boxy .... version .
    Sadly I can see the shortcomings of the rolling shutter effect , I have tried flight shots with my R6 II with various birds .... from small songbirds at a feeder or larger once in the mountains . Finally I deleted them all .... due to the rolling shutter .

TFS Andreas
    So true Andreas. One day hopefully we'll have a stacked sensor/global shutter that will do away with this. For competition or print, couldn't agree more that it takes away. Will deal with it for now until after the Olympics, when hopefully we can get a new flagship Canon body.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Brian, nice flight shot and I like the slight angle/banking pose. I too prefer an image less 'contrasty' in look, but also if the bird is quite rich in colour, then a less saturated backdrop would add better separation. I find the two compete, just my take, other I know will disagree.

TFS
    Steve
    The bkg for sure, Steve, can be a matter of taste. Comments noted, ty.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A version with some touches on the darks (more light-handed)....

Name:  20240424-Blue-Winged-Teal-Drake-SPREAD-Brian-Sump-BSR52656-Edit-Edit-SHARPEN-v8.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  574.8 KB

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian the R5MK2 will be launched way before the R1, watch for around May 23 for announcements on the R5….
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    A version with some touches on the darks (more light-handed)....

Name:  20240424-Blue-Winged-Teal-Drake-SPREAD-Brian-Sump-BSR52656-Edit-Edit-SHARPEN-v8.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  574.8 KB
    Does look better to me !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Does look better to me !!!
    Gracias amigo!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Brian the R5MK2 will be launched way before the R1, watch for around May 23 for announcements on the R5….
    Aahhhh ok. I have heard some murmurings but have note researched much. Will dive in...

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot, interesting/informative pose, for me the colours are a little saturated and the darker plumage is not showing any detail, the image in pane 9 looks about the best to me and the slightly less bright background reduces the overall contrast.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian just a wonderful shot,love the banking really gives a great view. Colors are great. Looked at all the comments and processed images. I would be glad to have any one such little variances and as Steve said comes down to personnel preference. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ah yes, what a pose! Glad you found a good spot despite the change of conditions at your spot. The repost addresses the darks nicely. I get bummed out by rolling shutter jaggies on my R6 - often much worse than you have here. A couple of times I was able to smooth those out in a natural looking way by selectively using gaussian blur.