Thread: Brown hare (Lepus europaeus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown hare (Lepus europaeus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hartley or Harvey - I mix the names up!! I only mentioned Hartley last image because my wife said Hartley not Harvey!!
    I tried a Linear profile as a starting point on this one.

OM-1 150-400TC
    Manual mode, ISO 3200, 1/250sec f4.5

ACR/PSCC
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 04-03-2024 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Replaced original post (colour cast)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jon ... you have swopped the image , this morning it was way cooler .
    Like the pose and the shoulder view he gave you ... lovely ear position .
    Nice details and the fur does look very good in details and sharpness ....
    Personally not a fan of your " drastic " color changes ...
    See my RP ... created from your first version , this morning . See it as a neutral starting point ....

BTW ... you have again a color cast in your version .

TFS Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 04-03-2024 at 01:37 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas, see the note at the foot of the original post it indicates I had replaced the image.

Your repost is way better and quite obvious to me, I am wondering if my screen calibration is out of sync.
    I am unclear what you mean by neutral starting point - I appreciate you went to the original post but what did you do to end up with these natural colours, I must be doing something "wrong".
    Not making excuses but my PC is not happy, I am taking it in for a check up on Monday - perhaps that may be a factor or maybe the ambient light in my study is not good.
    I'll take another look now (5.00pm) using no electric light - maybe that will help.

This is a repost from raw with no electric lighting, I used Adobe Standard as the starting point.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 04-04-2024 at 11:08 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jon ... do not know if your color system is off , LOL , mine is never off !!!!! I am not the most consequent guy when it comes to calibration .... and never have any color issues , if something is " off " with my colors it is simply my choice or my fault during processing .
    Wondering why you again want to take your PC to somebody else ???!!!! Regarding your study and ambient light .... no idea ... I have changing light in my study . It is never constant .... well it does change marginally over the day . Regardless of the light and calibration status of the system .... I do check my colors with the eye dropper ( at least HL / MT / SH ) to see potential " false " coloring .

Regarding my natural colors in my RP ... just three layers ! One curve layer to neutralize the colors ( all three channels slightly altered ) , one saturation to remove the blue /cyan and a screen layer at 40 % opacity ( with green channel as mask ) , that's it !!! And then you have a relatively " neutral " color starting point and you can go with more color in different directions .

Your last version looks very good to me .... if I use ACR I use only LINEAR profile , you are constantly changing profiles . Not the best idea IMHO . But your call ....

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas, I have made a note! Hopefully future posts will be more consistent.
    The PC issue is probably a software issue - PC gives error messages occasionally and sometimes it just grinds to a halt and turns off! Taking it to a PC repair shop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just had once a PC .... many moons ago , then switched to Mac and never felt I want to go back to crappy PC . Glad I listened to a friend .. at that time

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    I just had once a PC .... many moons ago , then switched to Mac and never felt I want to go back to crappy PC . Glad I listened to a friend .. at that time
    I wish I had gone to Mac but I think it would prove rather expensive now.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Lovely little chap and oh, the look on its face! This image makes me think of Stu Phillpot's characters...do you remember Stu and his hares?

I like this overall, well composed. Nice pose too. From colour point of view I think your second frame looks more natural, just bear in mind I have not seen the species. We have some hares here but they are super skittish, one hardly ever encounters them. I remember seeing one and it was rather grey.

You mentioned Adobe Standard, I think it is a good start as it gives you less contrast. In my case, I still use the old-fashioned dropper in LR to correct WB. Computer, too used to Mac to ever go back to Windows. Maybe consider a Mac when your PC gets too old?

Enjoyed viewing, and hope Mr. Phillpot is also watching, perhaps he'll come back with a hare or two

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

PS. And just letting you know, I am off to Kruger and camping in May
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela - been wondering where you'd got to! Glad you liked, got the PC back and now I intend to be more careful with the colour balance.