Thread: Bull Finch ( M )

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bull Finch ( M )

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ... one from my parents garden .
    Use that location for some bird shooting from time to time , as the birds are more or less used to humans .
    Was experimenting with low shutter speeds and rain ... in this case no rain was falling , but I kept shooting with the low SS .
    I also tried " pleasing blurs " ... but they did not come out as I wanted them to be . That's how it goes .

Canon EOS R 6 II
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Tripod

F 9 ; Iso 640 ; 1/30 sec

Processed with DT 4.6.1 and PSCC 2024 ; slight crop ; crop might look a bit awkward but I do not want to remove the twigs on RHS , so the subject has to stay slightly centered .

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot, if it were mine I would lower the subject in the frame and keep the twigs you mentioned, otherwise absolutely super, I would not have known 1/30 sec - this is common practice amongst Olympus photographers - 50fps slow shutter speed and hope for the best.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon ... but why lower in the frame , I try to keep the traditional rule of thirds for the subject .... well almost . I hear you ... but I stick with my comp . Think your vision is coming from your way of preparing your shots ... as many times you have your subjects low in the frame and a lot more space above .
    The slow SS is not exclusive to OM system who hope for the best .... as explained I had two targets rain streaks and /or pleasing blurs . Rain did not come as I hoped and my attempts with the blur was not very good because I did not get the poses I was looking after . I got shots of fully blurred subjects .... but none was doing a good job in the take off direction .

So i was ending up with a straight forward shots ....

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm with Jon for having the bird a bit lower in the frame here. There is lots of extra space below and the image feels a bit top-heavy. Super nice otherwise. Nice colours, good sharpness, and beautiful perch. Impressive how low of a shutter speed we can achieve - the only danger of course is if the subject itself moves.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dan ... interesting that you both prefer a lower bird ??!! I do think about it .... and I will see if get along with your thoughts .