Thread: Wood duck in fog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wood duck in fog

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot in Nd slough. This particular slough sits in a coulee and has more foggy mornings than I would like. But it is about my only wood duck habitat. Sits not too far from the Missouri river. Wood ducks don't appear much farther west in Nd for lack of trees/sloughs or potholes. I live in the Central flyway and the prairie pothole region
    is east of me. The lack of Woodies is contributed to the lack of habitat hence no trees occur on the prairie. Processed with Dpp 4 Photoshop.
    Canon R3
    Rf 400 2.8
    400 mm wide open
    1/1250
    ISO 8000 Should have mentioned shot from my floating blind. I use my blind almost exclusively. I just take it for granted.
    Last edited by kevin Hice; 02-09-2024 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Omitted my blind

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love it, the low angle, the rich colours of the duck and the subtle background in shades of green to light brown. I like the bill slightly open - seems like he's saying, "howdy". This blind of yours is a real asset.

(What does Nd slough mean?? I think a slough is a stretch of water - perhaps we call it a canal - I am intrigued - did a google but unsure??)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jonathan thanks for the comments. In Nd we have plenty of sloughs and potholes from when the glacier went through. A slough I use the term meaning a swampy area full of cattails usually very shallow and stagnant water.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin Hice View Post
    Jonathan thanks for the comments. In Nd we have plenty of sloughs and potholes from when the glacier went through. A slough I use the term meaning a swampy area full of cattails usually very shallow and stagnant water.
    Thanks Kevin - excuse my ignorance but Nd - what's that?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's Ok state North Dakota

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin Hice View Post
    That's Ok state North Dakota
    ...I should have worked that one out!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whoa! New lens. When did you get that one? As noted by Jon, this is a loverly image. You got the whole reflection and the purple cheek patch.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin:

Very nice Woodie. I love it when their mouth is open, they do indeed seem to be chatting. The soft light helped show all the colors and detail. Fog works nicely too.

Can you share a few details or perhaps an image of your floating blind? Home built or perhaps from Mr. Jan? I have pondered getting one for awhile. 95% of my shooting is from my boat/kayak, because the loons move so much, and are on larger bodies of water. I still would like to try a floating blind for other waterfowl species on the small ponds and streams that dot Michigan. Thanks ! Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy home made. I have put some images on here late last summer I believe. I am building a new one message me and I can send you some photos.