Thread: Sparrowhawk (Accipite nicis)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparrowhawk (Accipite nicis)

Attached Images Attached Images

Image taken hand held from a woodland hide an hour and a half drive from home. My aim was to see what I could do in lousy light and rain. After several hours in the cold and wind (2 deg C) I was getting so cold so I was doing squats and leg raises jogging on the spot - you name it - anything to warm up.....it was cold. All of a sudden - whoosh the birds disappeared and then this Sparrowhawk appeared in the gloom and rain. It was really dull and wet.... would you have boosted the colours more???

Model Name : OM-1
    Lens : OM 150-400mm F4.5 TC
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 1000.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO : 12800
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/1000 sec

ACR/PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would leave as is Jon. Every picture tells a story and you can see that the conditions were poor, even the bird looks gloomy. Nice pose on the bird, with the bird looking towards us. Good feather detail, including the wet ones. The darkness on the wet perch and the BG fits the scene. Well done.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm with Will on this one you captured the gloomy weather. What one will endure to capture a photo. We have all been through this well done for persevering. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon what are two darkish things ??
    One blob in ULC and one very wide streak across from left to right running across the head ... and the structure is looking strange in the areas ???!!!
    Remove tool ???

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Jon what are two darkish things ??
    One blob in ULC and one very wide streak across from left to right running across the head ... and the structure is looking strange in the areas ???!!!
    Remove tool ???

I am a plonker! I prepared a few images and after checking them I thought it best to submit the one with no manipulation of the background. You are quite right it looks a pig's ear, I have just checked my folder and I have three images of this file, I should have deleted the original post and submitted this one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haha Jon ... well better leave some limitations in the image instead of fiddling with things that one does not be a " pro " in .

Regarding the image and its overall presentation , I kind of feel a bit mixed about the dull look and feel . But I do understand that you keep it closer to reality ... matter of taste .
    Cool that you got him in that condition , not the usual polished bird in good light . The subject looks good with the most contrast detail and sharpness in the head area .... my view jumps right into the face .

Good to see different stuff

TFS Andreas

7. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post