Thread: On dawn patrol.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default On dawn patrol.

Attached Images Attached Images

Have recently returned from the Serengeti and couldn't think of a better way of getting back in the saddle and doing what I love after suffering a bad retinal detachment in my left eye.
    Fortunately I still had my viewfinder eye to see the splendor & beauty of the Serengeti during a particular heavy rainy season.

Here a big mature male Leopard strides confidently through the grassland plains of Lamai watched over by a vigilant Thompsons Gazelle in the background.
    His tail is up & curled, sending out a message "not hunting....just passing through!"

It's rare enough to see a Leopard totally out on the open grassland (and in glorious early golden light) let alone this big male striding confidently for 45 mins, traversing from one end of the Lamai plains to the other.........pure joy!

Things would've gotten very interesting had one of the 2 local prides spotted him!

Nikon Z9
    Nikkor Z400TC f/2.8
    f/4
    1/800s
    ISO140

Bean bag front pax seat, F/F, curves/levels in ACR/PS CC '24

1400px wide

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 01-20-2024 at 02:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome back, Marc!

Terribly sorry to learn about your eye issue, hope the procedure/surgery was successful and you are fully recovered.

Lovely sighting and image, I particularly like the point of view. As well as the fact that subject is in the open. Framing works well here, would even try go more pano if it was mine. Lovely colours.

Beautiful walking pose from this golden male, and what lovely patterns! Must have been such a joy to see this confident looking leopard, glad the lion prides were not around as I would hate to see him injured. Although you never know what the outcome would have been...

Thank you so much for sharing and I wish you speedy recovery! Looking forward to more images from this trip

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Gabriela

Have just had my final operation on my return and the eyesight in my left eye is almost back to what it was before the detachment, the full repair time can take up to 12 months,
    so it's been a huge relief!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Framing works well here, would even try go more pano if it was mine.

Kind regards,
    My wife and I had this sighting all to ourselves, as this was F/F we obviously cant go wider, however, as it took him 45 mins to traverse from one side to the other I had amply opportunity & time to give him a much wider vista,

which is what I love to do, ....... so stay tuned.
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 01-20-2024 at 07:56 PM.

5. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc ... wish you a fully recovery of your eye sight !!! Can it get worse ... as a photographer ??!!!

Super cool image and I bet a great sighting . Love the image as it is posted ... super warm light , cool relaxed looking subject and the sky !!!! man stunning !!

Super overall image .... that is Africa at its best

TFS Andreas

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post