Thread: My Girls ( This is for you, Steve)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default My Girls ( This is for you, Steve)

Attached Images Attached Images

Happy 2024, Friends!

Having seen Steve's lionesses I felt I had to reciprocate. So here are two of my Zuka Queens, members of a coalition of three.

Image captured on the 5th of December. As usual... on my way to work I have more in this folder and will share soon.

Would love to know if this works for you, kindly give me your honest thoughts.

Techs as follows:

Nikon Z9
    Nikkor 400mm F2.8 @ 400mm
    ISO 2500
    F8
    +0.33 EV
    SS 1/1000s

Processed in LR Classic and PSCC 2024, FF, flipped horizontally. Many thanks for your comments on my previous images, I truly appreciate your time to view.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this, the focus and gaze is super and you can see the angles honing in on the subject.

Extremely well processed, great clarity and detail in that eye, with a lowish ISO it helps to deliver, maybe watch the green creeping in on the neck, but that's a common issue. Like the blood stain at the back of the neck, it just adds to the scene. Could be deemed it needs a bit more on the LHS, but I quite like it as presented. Good call on flipping, it sits far better to the eye, makes no sense to keep it 'as shot'.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve, your comments are so encouraging, always.

Regarding greens, wasn't sure whether to remove them or not. Since they are a reflection of the (very) green grass after the rains.

More on the LHS, easy to add if you think it's worth it. And you taught me to flip when appropriate - felt it was the right thing to do in this instance

Once again thank you Steve,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Leave the greens in, it’s natural.

Flipping is from the old days, working either from duplicated Transparencies where there was no way of knowing which way was right, but also, sometimes it looks better. Shooting ads was easy, as you knew how it would look because you designed it ahead of schedule, wildlife may not always be as cooperative, but no harm in flipping.

I quite like the tight space on the LHS.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Talking about flipping, I go with my gut, if it feels right I do it

And you know me, just love being out there with the lionesses. Perhaps I could achieve more if I moved around, repositioned vehicle... but maybe not? Often when I sit in one spot they come to me all relaxed...and it feels as if I am part of the pride... it's the most awesome feeling, Steve
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ...
    a really nice shot of the two ladies , I do like the depth created by the one in the back .
    Interesting to see the different ear positions of the two .
    You have extracted exquisite details in the front lady , very nice !!! Overall color is good , for me a touch too strong oranges ... matter of taste . And why does the color in the background female look duller to a degree ??? If you have separated them in your edit , I would give the same amount of tone and color to the BG lady .... just my thought .
    The eye does look very good , super sharp and clarity .

Nice work with your Nikon kit

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas

Was wondering whether I should apply the same treatment to the lioness in the BG but decided to leave her alone as I did not want her to become too prominent. So yes I did separate them in my edit. Will try a version with a little more 'punch' on the girl in the BG and see what it looks like.

Regarding orange tinge, understand what you mean and indeed a matter of taste... must admit I quite like it, so it stays...for now

Still getting used to the new kit and enjoying it very much, albeit beginning to think I need some more gear. Had some close encounters lately and realised I could do with another body and a smaller lens. Hopefully uncle Nikon will help with some discount

Wishing you a lovely rest of the week and once again thank you for chipping in with comments, much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela ... no worries with orange tinge , if you like it fair enough . When I do post next time a Lion ..... I will push the oranges as well , seems to be popular in the moment . Always be flexible is great ....

With your actual kit you might be somehow limited at times .... wondering how long you will stick to this .

Have a lovely weekend , cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

I like an orange tinge, but not always and not everywhere, just here and there And you are welcome to go with the trend, all you need is a nice lion

The kit...err...it is certainly not enough but I am not rushing into it. Hope Uncle Nikon will let me test a few bits of gear so I can decide what's next.

Hope you too have a super week-end,

Kind regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Gabriela ... no worries with orange tinge , if you like it fair enough . When I do post next time a Lion ..... I will push the oranges as well , seems to be popular in the moment . Always be flexible is great ....

With your actual kit you might be somehow limited at times .... wondering how long you will stick to this .

Have a lovely weekend , cheers Andreas
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of your recent best Gabriela,

I love the juxtaposition and pose symmetry of both females.

TFS

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post

The kit...err...it is certainly not enough but I am not rushing into it. Hope Uncle Nikon will let me test a few bits of gear so I can decide what's next.

I note you're enjoying that beautiful Z400TC, it's been one heck of a cracking prime lens for me over the last 18 months, and certainly THE best prime I've ever used in 45 years of wildlife photography, not just the quality/contrast, but the weight and handhold ability/balance, plus the ability to flick that 1.4tc is unrivalled right now!

You now must get the Z70-200, a must have. My kit now comprises of 2 x Z9's, the Z400TC, Z400 4.5, Z70-200 and the superb lightweight Z24-70 f/4, no need for a big f/2.8 any more, IMO.
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 01-19-2024 at 08:30 PM.