Thread: Lazy Kenya Lioness

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lazy Kenya Lioness

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gabriela, I will raise you two lazy Lioness from Kenya, sadly we didn't have the lovely encounters you are having.

You are also fortunate with the light and very cool backdrops, plus its great to see you are finally getting to grips with the Z9 and that gorgeous 400f/2.8 which I think Canon made an error on.

Steve

Subject: Lazy Lioness (Panthera leo)
    Camera: Canon EOS R3
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM HH
    Exposure: 1/2500 at f/7.1 ISO1600
    Original format: Landscape, small crop from the top FF width
    Processed via: Lr 13.1 & Ps 25.3.1
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you, dear Steve

Love a lion image and especially close-ups, as you already know. Nice framing here and I like the pose and expression, the fact that one lioness is looking towards you... the 'over the shoulder' glance is just awesome.

Lovely colours and tones, oh but you process so much better than me and you certainly know how to handle light

BG nice and smooth but not sterile, good thinking there. Nice techs, good IQ, lovely detail. The little flies around the eyes add interest.

Would not change anything, I like the frame as presented. Thank you so much for sharing, much appreciated.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, I quite liked the idea of the FG lioness being non comital, looking on at the cubs playing, whilst the other with her slight 'cocked' with just has that slight interest look to camera.

Folk will comment on the high whites for sure, for me it adds, otherwise it looks just flat and characterless in part. Yes, the flies also add to the story for sure, again adding interest to the face, but as you know, Lions are continuously plagued.

BG nice and smooth but not sterile, good thinking there. Nice techs, good IQ, lovely detail.
    Yes, never a great lover of plain BKG, nice to have something to break it up, even if it's tonal, but again you can't always choose them. The SS was from shooting the Cubs, so 1/1600 would be fine here on reflection, but no harm to the IQ.

Really looking forward to getting back for sure, might buy another bit of kit, but well see, certainly really please on the CF Express cards saving so won't ever runout on a drive, as its so easy to rack up the image rate.

Now come on, let's see some of your recent stuff, stopping hiding away.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The lioness on the right looks great, the one on the left doesn't do anything for me. - Why? probably becusae I don't sense any interaction between the two and from my point of view she detracts from the image as opposed to adds, she's fuzzy and there. I appreciate that some would say that is precisely why she is in the image.. but not for me. The one on the right is tickety boo the other is a no no for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No problem Jon, we all see things differently, but for me, having no interaction and almost that 'fly on the wall' appraoch I like.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, this works well for me, the FG lioness creates a sense of symmetry and a 'togetherness' so to speak. In terms of the whites I think you dealt with those very well in post processing, must have been a tad bright in places but such was the light. There is still detail in most parts, as far as I am concerned.

Interested to have a chat with you about the 'kit', I find the 400 F2.8 TC quite versatile but at times I miss the 70- 200 mm. Don't like changing lenses so might have to look at another body? Also, the battery goes flat quite fast so I need another one or two. Cards I have lots and I can still use the XQD which I have plenty of.

Oh and not hiding away LOL, just raised you some lionesses, more to come This year I will dedicate more time to photography, busy to organise my business so it can run without me...life is too short

Have a wonderful evening,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks Gabriela, I quite liked the idea of the FG lioness being non comital, looking on at the cubs playing, whilst the other with her slight 'cocked' with just has that slight interest look to camera.

Folk will comment on the high whites for sure, for me it adds, otherwise it looks just flat and characterless in part. Yes, the flies also add to the story for sure, again adding interest to the face, but as you know, Lions are continuously plagued.

Yes, never a great lover of plain BKG, nice to have something to break it up, even if it's tonal, but again you can't always choose them. The SS was from shooting the Cubs, so 1/1600 would be fine here on reflection, but no harm to the IQ.

Really looking forward to getting back for sure, might buy another bit of kit, but well see, certainly really please on the CF Express cards saving so won't ever runout on a drive, as its so easy to rack up the image rate.

Now come on, let's see some of your recent stuff, stopping hiding away.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This year I will dedicate more time to photography, busy to organise my business so it can run without me...life is too short
    LOL, just pulling your leg.

I think now as I said, you are Mastering the camera and gorgeous lens, plus you are now on top of your PP and I'm sure this year will be a big turning point in your images, as you can spend time making those subtle, but important tweaks which elevates the images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    LOL, just pulling your leg.

I think now as I said, you are Mastering the camera and gorgeous lens, plus you are now on top of your PP and I'm sure this year will be a big turning point in your images, as you can spend time making those subtle, but important tweaks which elevates the images.
    You are too kind, Steve

Really hope to find more time for photography and most importantly, to spend time with wildlife
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... you have the tough lighting well controlled , good job on that front !!!
    I do like the right Lioness almost as presented , just the oranges are too strong for my personal taste .... other than that exquisite details and nice tones . Her eyes are looking gorgeous .... so clear
    BG is solid good with no distractions .... the left Lioness is not helping the image , IMHO , just a dark element ... not working for me . But you do seem to like her ..... just different tastes .

TFS Andreas