Thread: Kestrels (Male & Female)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kestrels (Male & Female)

Attached Images Attached Images

After a few hours, the light and shooting direction all changed, creating this gorgeous blue backdrop. This time it was nice to witness the actual behavioural aspect between the male on the left and the female.

Raw Digger confirmed the exposure was spot on perfect.

Steve

Subject: Kestrels (Falco tinnunculus)
    Camera: Canon EOS R3
    Lens: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
    Exposure: 1/1600 at f/10 ISO5000 EV +0.33
    Original format: Landscape, cropped very slightly for presentation
    Processed via: Lr 13.0.2 & Ps 25.3.0

The set up had both the R5 with the 500m & 1.4x paired up with the R3 & 100-500 with the 1.4x, ideal for flexible shooting

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behaviour of the subject.

Mouse is dead and bred for snakes, I cannot see any difference between this and using sound recordings.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 12-16-2023 at 08:08 AM.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

This is quite spectacular. I'm really liking the colour contrast of the two kestrels against that bluish background.

The behaviour of the pair is delightful - such a pleasure to catch - forming a nice triangle. Is she feeding him or is he taking from her? Can't quite work it out.

The side lighting is a given and the shadowy areas on both birds seem to have lifted nicely. Perfect processing as usual.

I could imagine a slightly different crop with less of the post and maybe even centering the birds more, showing more background if you have it. Personally preference!

Thanks for sharing.

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Gerald, it was perhaps the best day of the year with the light and the opportunities, working the Kestrels. The Winter light changes so much, you will see in the next image taken three weeks prior.

Is she feeding him or is he taking from her?
    Gerald, we know our place, he is feeding her, he has a grey back of the head and slightly smaller in size.

The side lighting is a given and the shadowy areas on both birds seem to have lifted nicely. Perfect processing as usual.
    Not sure if I did as I over write Adobe to a degree.

I could imagine a slightly different crop with less of the post and maybe even centering the birds more, showing more background if you have it. Personally preference!
    Thanks for the suggestion, ideally going more central could well be the answer, as the whose capture is leaning towards that direction. Less post, my fear is as always, is that the subjects then sit too low and the 'weight' is then out of kilter and the subjects appear to be slipping out of frame.

Thanks again.

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am loving this, Steve.

Superb pose from the two kestrels and killer background. Beautifully exposed and IQ looks great for ISO 15.000.

For me the framing works well and PP is faultless, as expected

Truly enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela, oops left in the ‘1’ so the ISO was 5000

Have a great weekend, enjoy…

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

Lovely image, with great interaction . Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image, with great interaction . Cheers
    Many thanks Randy, much appreciated.
    Have a great time over the Xmas festivities, all the best for '24.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thank you Gabriela, oops left in the ‘1’ so the ISO was 5000

Have a great weekend, enjoy…

Was rather jealous thinking you got such outstanding image quality at ISO 15.000 Haven't had a chance to up the ISO that much on my Z9... so not sure what it's like
    Hope you too enjoy the weekend, we just got back from a game drive and busy with a barbecue ( braai ) outdoors. I sent you some 'appetisers'

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding image, the background really makes the birds pop. Love the frost on the perch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, the interaction is just superb, and I'm enjoying the wintery scene. The side lighting and shadows have been expertly handled.
    How do you like the 100-500?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jack.

Sid it’s a remarkable lens, is it slow, I haven’t noticed providing you push the ISO when required. But with the R5 you need a tad more SS, personally here I should have been more 1/2000, but getting the correct Case and if need be tweaking it, just adds to a better functioning camera. When tweaking, just be careful you didn’t replicate a Case setting ie you are in Case 3, but replicate Case 1, it won’t work as well.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's the one! Nailed it, everyone wants this shot - well done you must have been elated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's the one! Nailed it, everyone wants this shot - well done you must have been elated.
    Very much so!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh what a lovely peaceful scene in a gorgeous winter landscape .... the warm sun and the cooler BG are very nice .
    Nicely separated subjects from BG , should be possible at a commercial set up ...
    The sweet behavior is nicely captured , great image in combo with your high level processing

Love it Steve and TFS

Wondering how many times during a shoot they do offer that behavior , as I have seen a couple of images taken that way ... from that place ?!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto all the positives -- there are too many to list. I would not mind a bit more background on three sides -- all but the bottom. The bummer for me is that the front half of the lady's face is in shadow. I imagine that you lifted that already...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie, the only ‘shadow’ lifting is within my normal peramiters of addressing Adobes crap it imbeds behind the scenes. Other than that I have left as is.