Thread: Decembers - Playmate of the Year

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Decembers - Playmate of the Year

Attached Images Attached Images

Just another revise of this image, illustrates animals can have fun too, albeit the PB was cleaning up his fur.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear on pack ice having fun (Ursus maritimus)
    Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
    Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM HH
    Exposure: 1/2500 at f/8 ISO1000 EV +1
    Original format: Landscape, small crop
    Processed via: Lr 13.2 & Ps 25.2
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awwweee, super timing here Steve, such cute upside down pose from this Polar Bear!

Beautiful detail as usual, I like the visible claws ( so sharp!) and the creamy colour of the coat is lovely...BTW I just read that those hairs are actually hollow, and the yellowish tinge is due to the bear's diet, possibly seal oils.

Love the pristine white of the snow. IMO the (pano) crop/comp adds to perspective, techs look great, perfect exposure. The inclusion of the water in the background adds interest.

A thoughtfully processed frame with superb IQ, thank you for sharing Steve

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Techically pretty amazing, my only reservation is I feel there is too much space (empty snow) at the foot of the image, it leaves me wanting what is going on above.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

my only reservation is I feel there is too much space (empty snow) at the foot of the image, it leaves me wanting what is going on above.
    To retain the foot prints Jon and roll into, it was anticipating what the animal might do...
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No wonder that she was voted as POTY ... looking at the posing , looks like a funny back scrubbing on ice .
    Would have loved a lower shooting angle with this somehow extraordinary posing , for sure only a dream to get it in real life .
    Technically nicely done and processed !!!

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

I love this image! The pose is terrific! You have to be there and be ever so fortunate to capture such a special moment of unusual behaviour. Given the amount of time they spend just sleeping, eating and going anywhere but where the photographer is!

As usual, the detail showing on the snow and on the bear is as good as it gets!

Such a pleasure to view!

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Gerald, great to hear from you, I thought you might have gone into hibernation by. now?

Thank you for the kind words and in some respect it carries more weight, as you have been there and know just how hard it is to get images.

Hope you can share some more images, as having diversity is key and hearing from others their experiences, thoughts and views.

Steve