Thread: Zuka Cheetah Resting

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Zuka Cheetah Resting

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

This image was captured on Tuesday evening on my way back from work. A beautiful cheetah male, part of a coalition of three. The 'boys' as I like to call them are quite relaxed and often walk near or in front of the vehicle paying little or no attention to the roar of my truck. On this occasion I found them looking quite tired and hungry, every now and then one would drop to the ground and rest for a minute or so then catch up with the other two. I could tell they were hunting as they were wandering from one side of the road to the other, scanning the surroundings. Hope they were successful, I gave up following them around seven pm because the light was fading and I too was hungry and looking forward to a meal

Techs:

Nikon Z9
    Nikkor Z 400mm F2.8 TC @ 560mm
    ISO 5000
    +0.67EV
    F4
    1/800s

Processed in LR and PSCC. Really liked the pose here and expression and tried to portray him best I could. Straightened frame and cropped a tad on all sides. Happy to receive any comments or suggestions, be it technical or otherwise. Many thanks for your participation on my previous posts, always appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous capture Gabriela, love the pose and the fixed stare!!! Nice work on PP, viewing on the MBP so can't really say on colour. I think if the frame was lower, ie moving the whole frame down, less above, more below so the track leads the eye. Could have gone to a native 6400 on the ISO for a hint more SS with no IQ issues.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve, I so appreciate your feedback

Think I can move the frame down a bit, will try. Do have a few more images from this sighting at higher ISO values, had to go up as it was getting dark.

Still trying to figure out how far I can push the Z9. The D5 had no issues even at 20.000 ISO but now it has been sold...When I view the Z9 images in LR at first not that impressed but after just a few tweaks it starts looking better, by the time I get to PS it's looking real good.

Regarding colour, was tempted to give more oomph... but afraid not to overdo things

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Still trying to figure out how far I can push the Z9.
    As I said before, it's a balancing act, get the SS & F stop as you want it let the ISO go, but the higher the ISO the more dynamic range you loose, so you might then need to drop your SS, but then you factor in EV. Plus will drop SS/up the ISO, minus will increase SS/drop ISO, so its just spinning plates.

Regarding colour, was tempted to give more oomph... but afraid not to overdo things
    Can't say.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    As I said before, it's a balancing act, get the SS & F stop as you want it let the ISO go, but the higher the ISO the more dynamic range you loose, so you might then need to drop your SS, but then you factor in EV. Plus will drop SS/up the ISO, minus will increase SS/drop ISO, so its just spinning plates.

Can't say.
    You are absolutely right, and I am trying to balance things, also taking lots more images than usual at various settings... so I have lots to compare and choose from
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 12-01-2023 at 03:00 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image Gabriela, the subject pops out and the eyes are fantastic, colours look spot on to me. The fur is rendered very well indeed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Jon,

So easy and so much fun when the subjects cooperate - love those three boys as they are so relaxed and get so close, allowing me to photograph them

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ... i do like the concentrated and kind of grumpy look of the Cheetah .
    Comp , pose is solid good and the greenery is a nice addition to break the dominant reddish soil tone/color .
    Lovely bokeh with the new kit .
    Might give the subject more tonal depth in the " shadow " areas , does look a bit flat to me .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas,

Indeed my boy looks a bit grumpy, LOL.

Thank you for suggestion, shall certainly have a look, I see what you mean.

Realised I could do more after posting...But was so happy to have something new to share

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea