Thread: White throated Munia on millet

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White throated Munia on millet

Attached Images Attached Images

Another species photographed on the millet farm.
    Haven't seen this species posted here in many years.
    Nothing too exciting, but just for some PP practice.

R5, 600f4, 1.4x, Tripod
    1/800, f7.1, ISO 1250

In hindsight more SS wouldn't have hurt. However, from a burst of 20 plus images, all of them are tack sharp; tripod likely helped.

WB correction and exposure adjustment in ACR.
    Minor crop and smart sharpen in PS.

All feedback and reposts welcome.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sidharth Kodikal; 11-24-2023 at 11:56 PM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sid, I much prefer this imagery to the previous, it has so much more going for it.

The BKG is a killer, love the vibrancy and there is just enough tonal variation to add interest and not detraction. The subject is pin sharp when viewed correctly, perhaps a slight head turn, but...

Based on the posting and being a JPEG a small WB tweak -4/-1 just helps, likewise dropping the blue, and Exp -0.20, personal choice. Pulling the white up before clipping and adding say +5 Clarity & +5 Dehaze I think just adds a bit more to the subject. +15 Vibrancy to add more to the BKG could be an option???? If you have it moving the white frame up, approximately 25cm/an inch may help as the corn cob isn't then touching the frame.

Again, just my take.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Superbly sublime. The rear stalk of millet is too close to the frame-edge for me so I executed a proportional Content-Aware Crop to add a bit more above an in front. Though the difference is small, the new image design is much more pleasing to my eye.

The colors are superb as is so I see no need for tweaking this one. As the Captain of the Head Angle Police as well as the coiner of the term, I must say that the HA here is dead-solid perfect.

with love, a

ps: see my questions in Pane 6 on your post here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ead.php/157790
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: I love the bits of millet on the beak!

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The colors are superb as is so I see no need for tweaking this one.
    Guess we all see things differently Artie, but yes this is 'sublime'!!!!
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks. Agree with you both that the rear cob was a bit too close. I do have room, will re-crop.

Artie, sorry missed your question. Just PM'd you with answers and news.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Based on the posting and being a JPEG a small WB tweak -4/-1 just helps, likewise dropping the blue, and Exp -0.20, personal choice. Pulling the white up before clipping and adding say +5 Clarity & +5 Dehaze I think just adds a bit more to the subject. +15 Vibrancy to add more to the BKG could be an option???? If you have it moving the white frame up, approximately 25cm/an inch may help as the corn cob isn't then touching the frame.
    Will give these tweaks a shot. Thanks for the suggestions!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sid ... looking with my " eagle eyes " on a crappy old MBP , so maybe not useful as a reference ....
    I just like the image so much as presented , would not change a thing ...
    Congrats to a fine shot in capture and processing

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice frame. Millet is as interesting as the bird, and the BG is great. I agree with Artie about the rear/OOF stalking being too close to the top of frame. His is a good suggestion is you're not against adding that bit of canvas.