Thread: Common Snipe (VGallinago gallinago)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Snipe (VGallinago gallinago)

Attached Images Attached Images

I spotted this Snipe at the edge of a large pool, it's a busy image but this was the clearest shot I could get at the time. I used the 2x converter, I am not a fan I think I may have gotten a better result with the additional MC14 instead. I suspect you may think the image is too warm/yellow, this was the ambient lighting.

OM-1 150-400 1.25TC engaged plus MC20 converter
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 1893.0mm (zoom must have moved from 400)
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO : 3200
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/1600 sec
    Aperture : F11

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, what did you do to the backdrop, have you been playing with Lens blur? Why f/11???
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure what you mean what have I done, I haven't used filters or anything like that, it is f111 because lens =f4.5, with 1.25TC =f5.6 and add the 2xTC =f11, very shallow DOF

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure what you mean what have I done, I haven't used filters or anything like that, it is f111 because lens =f4.5, with 1.25TC =f5.6 and add the 2xTC =f11, very shallow DOF
    OK that explains that. so in old money is f/14-16.

If you take from the waters edge on the LHS, above the shadow of the bird it all looks, appears very 'ghostly' in appearance, as if you used a lens blur to diffuse the BKG, did you use any NR? Just looks odd to my eyes?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    OK that explains that. so in old money is f/14-16.

If you take from the waters edge on the LHS, above the shadow of the bird it all looks, appears very 'ghostly' in appearance, as if you used a lens blur to diffuse the BKG, did you use any NR? Just looks odd to my eyes?
    No just the standard NR at raw stage nowt else. I know what you mean about ghostly I ended up using a little "Effects" on the Snipe to improve contrast.
    As I said, I am not a fan of the MC20 with the big lens and it's converter, if necessary I will use the 1.4.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure what standard NR is Jon, but…

Overall it’s nice to see a different species and quite an elusive one too. As stated I’m not a huge fan of the ghostly backdrop and I wish there was more separation between habitat and subject, but saying that, it does illustrate how well the Snipe blends into its environment.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure what standard NR is Jon, but… I use DxO mostly or sometimes Adobe NR - not much difference really.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Jon, I should be more explicit, how much did you use for ‘Standard’, but as you don’t retain a ‘Master Tiff’ I guess it’s hard to know? To me each image is judged on its own merits rather than batch processed, but hey… I just think you could back off. FYI my Kestrel at ISO2500 had only +2 via Topaz DN, 0 Sharpening as it should be.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Sorry Jon, I should be more explicit, how much did you use for ‘Standard’, but as you don’t retain a ‘Master Tiff’ I guess it’s hard to know? To me each image is judged on its own merits rather than batch processed, but hey… I just think you could back off. FYI my Kestrel at ISO2500 had only +2 via Topaz DN, 0 Sharpening as it should be.
    I didn't use Abobe on this one, I will try another version using the Adobe. The Canon and Olympus are apples and pears, completely different sensor types and sizes so the noise settings would not be comparable (I think).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon. I like the rich colours and contrast. Nice detail on the bird, and well done on capturing this elusive subject. Personally the refection here doesn't do much for me. I would crop from below and in a wee bit from the RHS.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I enjoyed viewing this snipe in its environment. What spoke to me was the signature pose. The tail all fanned out, wings fluffed up, and that typical side-eye.
    Last edited by Sidharth Kodikal; 11-22-2023 at 01:32 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the spectacular fanned tail. I find it hard to believe that nobody mentioned the fact that the bird is angled well away from us or that the bird's head is turned so far away that the base of the bill is hidden behind its breast. Had you been five feet to your right, things might have been better.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I love the spectacular fanned tail. I find it hard to believe that nobody mentioned the fact that the bird is angled well away from us or that the bird's head is turned so far away that the base of the bill is hidden behind its breast. Had you been five feet to your right, things might have been better.

with love, a
    Artie I was in a hide at a reserve, bearing in mind this was 2000mm there was quite a distance between me and the bird, 5 feet to the right would have been tricky because other people were in the hide.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The detail on the bird is fantastic Jon!