Thread: On the hunt

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default On the hunt

Attached Images Attached Images

A beautiful lioness on the hunt in Selinda, Botswana.

Steve

Subject: Lioness on the hunt (Panthera leo)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXT HH
    Exposure: 1/1600 at f/7.1 ISO800 EV +0.33
    Original format: Landscape, small crop from the top FF width
    Processed via: Lr 13.0.1 & Ps 25.1.0
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 11-22-2023 at 03:48 PM.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot it draws my eyes in as it were. I am sure the background was bright but I think the lioness shows to better effect if the background is a little less bright.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, as I have said before, you need ‘contrast’ to add separation, mute the BKG and the subject will disappear, or has less separation.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 11-13-2023 at 08:52 AM.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know you have said before! I agree that is usually the case but in this one I didn't think so... disagree if you wish it's your image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the facial expression. Great detail on the lion. The bright BG is different and I like it. I recently photographed a Red Squirrel in shadow with the bright sun in the BG, similar to this. Still to process.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the facial expression. Great detail on the lion. The bright BG is different and I like it. I recently photographed a Red Squirrel in shadow with the bright sun in the BG, similar to this. Still to process.
    Cheers Will, it's all about trying to process something slightly differently and not just - as shot. I need to push my thinking and PP of the image.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

I am late here... just wanted to say I am so impressed with your thinking and vision behind the image...looking at this frame all I can think of is a scorching hot day in Africa ( like today) and a lioness making her way to a shady spot.

What was your ISO here? Well exposed with great detail and those textures are to die for, the lioness's coat looks smooth and velvety and colours are just perfect. You make me jealous again
    Hope you have a great rest of the week and many thanks for sharing, I took great pleasure viewing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What was your ISO here?
    ISO800, so almost baseline.

Well exposed with great detail and those textures are to die for, the lioness's coat looks smooth and velvety and colours are just perfect. You make me jealous again
    It all comes back to Exposure Gabriela as usual, 99% of the time it's on the nose when reviewed prior to any PP, as its far more accurate than any raw converter when checking raws and if you do decide to get the software, let me know and I will send you screen grabs to set up the Prefs.

If you can keep the ISO as low as you can, and the techs are correct, you will nail it, but it's all a balancing act, as per the Kestrel's. The first started off at ISO12,800 dropping to 2500.

Thanks again.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    ISO800, so almost baseline.

It all comes back to Exposure Gabriela as usual, 99% of the time it's on the nose when reviewed prior to any PP, as its far more accurate than any raw converter when checking raws and if you do decide to get the software, let me know and I will send you screen grabs to set up the Prefs.

If you can keep the ISO as low as you can, and the techs are correct, you will nail it, but it's all a balancing act, as per the Kestrel's. The first started off at ISO12,800 dropping to 2500.

Thanks again.
    Thank you very much Steve, whenever you have some time kindly send me those screen grabs, internet a bit slow tonight but I am busy downloading the software.

Have a wonderful rest of the week,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will do, just out tonight, you will get them within 48hrs