Thread: Curious Polar Bear

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Curious Polar Bear

Attached Images Attached Images

Sadly this doesn't do justice just how tall this Polar bear was, but easily 3.5m tall, this is why you NEVER have camera straps fitted, those paws could easily swipe a strap and either your camera goes or worse, you too go with it!!!

Curious Polar bear, or is it Gerald?????

Steve

Subject: Polar bear on pack ice (Ursus maritimus)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
    Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM HH
    Exposure: 1/1000 at f/9 ISO2500 EV +1
    Original format: Portrait, small crop
    Processed via: LRC 13.1 & PS 25.1
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully processed but not keen on the angle.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What angle would you suggest. Easy to say wrong angle, but you need to booster your decision.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I mean the angle from which it is taken, I would guess you have taken it from the ship you were on, you are looking downwards, it is like the angle you would have got at Chester Zoo fifty years ago! I much prefer your shots from a longer distance when you were on the boat then the angle becomes much less noticeable.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning resemblance, but in fact I think it might well be my cousin Bjorn! He's a fine looking fellow!

I'm enjoying the lovely textures on the fur, especially all the little whispy bits on the paws. And that water behind the bear looks perfectly cold!

The viewing angle isn't ideal - we would have gotten a better idea of his size if you had been on the ice at the same level as the bear - and so would you!

Thanks for sharing!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very unusual image and given the circumstances I really have no problem with the POV here.

Love the framing and super pose from the bear. Colours, textures and detail just superb.

Works for me as presented, thank you so much for sharing! Would love to have this in my folders... I am green with envy, Steve

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank Gabriela, nice to have you back and once you have got back into the swing of everything, hopefully we will see you posting.

Unlike game drives, where most of the time you can control/orchestrate events as you are fully aware, but with these guys they can be so unpredictable and safety comes first. Being so close you CANNOT be on the pack ice, if you could then this scenario would offer a better POV for sure, sadly, you therefore must work from the ship. If I was to go more to the left I would then be at the bow, another 4ft higher, looking more directly down at the PB and so would have a more 'compressed' POV. Therefore the only option was to shoot from the middle part of our little ship which is the lowest part, but I felt gave you some element of height, but again, we all see things differently, but its a case where.... you need to be there to understand and appreciate the limitations.

Sadly only young Gerald has been to this region and can appreciate the limitations.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, a cuddly Polar Bear. Lovely detail and colours throughout. What a pose. Reminds me of Hercules the Bear. Remember him.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Reminds me of Hercules the Bear. Remember him.
    Will, I can neither 'confirm nor deny', it might age me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thank Gabriela, nice to have you back and once you have got back into the swing of everything, hopefully we will see you posting.

Unlike game drives, where most of the time you can control/orchestrate events as you are fully aware, but with these guys they can be so unpredictable and safety comes first. Being so close you CANNOT be on the pack ice, if you could then this scenario would offer a better POV for sure, sadly, you therefore must work from the ship. If I was to go more to the left I would then be at the bow, another 4ft higher, looking more directly down at the PB and so would have a more 'compressed' POV. Therefore the only option was to shoot from the middle part of our little ship which is the lowest part, but I felt gave you some element of height, but again, we all see things differently, but its a case where.... you need to be there to understand and appreciate the limitations.

Sadly only young Gerald has been to this region and can appreciate the limitations.

Steve, I think I can imagine the circumstances and appreciate the limitations even though I have never been to this location. Knowing you for so many years I am sure you put a lot of thought into this, you never shoot randomly and always make the best of any situation.

Honestly I do not see anything wrong here, frame works for me as is and I like the perspective, it's something different from what we see every day. BTW, detail is superb and those wet bits of fur on the paws are super cool...

I really must go to Svalbard to see those awesome Polar Bears, don't think it will happen next year but hopefully in 2025, Bro' Pete might organise a trip... I must just speak to him nicely

Chat soon
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Better win the Lotto Gabriela, it's getting even more expensive and the PB's harder to find, stick to what you know... Africa.

Can't wait to get back Africa and some of your friends last week have really helped me with some of the new kit being launched and forth coming, they seem to get their hands on things before it lands here, even pre-production!!!

Will talk tomorrow, as I forgot to mention it last week whilst you were away.

I'm sure P can facilitate anything.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Better win the Lotto Gabriela, it's getting even more expensive and the PB's harder to find, stick to what you know... Africa.

Can't wait to get back Africa and some of your friends last week have really helped me with some of the new kit being launched and forth coming, they seem to get their hands on things before it lands here, even pre-production!!!

Will talk tomorrow, as I forgot to mention it last week whilst you were away.

I'm sure P can facilitate anything.
    Thank you Steve, I do agree those trips get more and more expensive but I think I'll still do it as a 'once in a lifetime' thing, maybe I get lucky and come across a bear or two P can do magic when it comes to those faraway destinations, he gets invited to lecture all over the place...and now we have a deal as you know, we set some goals and going to stick to them

Looking forward to our chat tomorrow, you made me curious and I look forward to your news!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Steve ... oh I would have loved to have a PB so close during my single trip to Svalbard !!!

I followed this thread and the comments with interest , all the different views ...

I have to say that I do much prefer all the other classical stuff that you posted , albeit I do understand that you have photographed this bear doing it´s " unnatural " thing .... I bet would have photographed it too . The image does look good in the technical department ... but I do have the same feeling as Jon about the angle and the " zoo like behavior " when folks stare down into the cage . To me it has a funny character ... and worth posting if one likes stuff like this . TFS Andreas

I