Thread: Wally in space!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wally in space!

Attached Images Attached Images

By popular demand here is an alternative shot of our friend Wally, this one with a lot more space. Here I like the tusks in the water and the inclusion of the tail flippers and the curious tilt of the head.

As before, shot from a zodiac with the A9II, FE200-600 at 430mm. Shutter 1/1000 sec at f/9, ISO 1250.

In Lightroom used the Landscape profile and Enhance Denoise. Tweaked the exposure and contrast, minor tweaks on texture and clarity. Reduced saturation of the pink blotches on the flesh but kept a warmer overall colour on the fur (Looking at a number of other images of other Walruses, I think that this is a good representation of a typical colour, although it varies somewhat with the light.). Used a radial mask to add a lightening vignette.

In PS I have resized and sharpened for output with USM.

I think it is probably time to move on to some other subjects now. Thanks for your comments (and patience).

Gerald

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think that is terrific! Love the pose with that curled round flipper. The darker snow at the top frames nicely. This is an image that will remain in my mind for some time.

3. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald, yep this is far better in all aspects, yes there are always 'tweaks and enhancements' you can do, but overall its getting the basics right.

I do like the jaunty HA and the fact the tusks are slightly in the water, albeit its often nice to see because of their length.

I'm still not sure about how much 'blue/WB' and going with landscape it will have increased the overall bias, but... personally I might try and balance between the two with masks & layers, but that's me Gerald, but overall

Interesting to see the same old lurkers, but no comments oh well....

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Gerald,

Great work in the field and I think your PP work is coming on so nicely, very well done Love the POV here and pose from the subject, well exposed and well framed too. Sharp with good detail.

Do find the frame a tad cold overall, but you were there and know best what it was like at the time. Just thinking perhaps you could get more out of this frame with a couple of tweaks?

Overall a memorable scene well captured, I enjoyed viewing, very much, thank you so much for sharing with us

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All looks good here Gerald. Lovely POV with a cool reflection. Good DOF. Great pose with the tusks in the water. Nice detail on the face, one nostril closed, one open . Nothing I would change.

Will