Thread: Polar Bear in midnight sun

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polar Bear in midnight sun

Attached Images Attached Images

Firstly, no I haven't gone mad and yes, the monitor is perfectly calibrated, but shooting in Svalbard at this time of year close to midnight, you get this incredible light, almost apocalyptic in its appearance. Fortunately a Polar Bear happened to pass by, so at 10.45pm out goes the shout and the mad panic ensues. Shot taken from the top of the wheel house.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear on pack ice in midnight sun (Ursus maritimus)
    Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
    Lens: EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM HH
    Exposure: 1/800 at f/5.6 ISO4000 EV +1.33
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF
    Processed via: LRC 13.1 & PS 25.1
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

That is really stunning! Reflected light in the water like this never happened when I was there, so this is a really special occasion.

I'm a little surprised that there isn't more of the orange light reflected in the white snow, albeit some orange in the snow foreground right.

The image looks really great!

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Gerald, sorry you didn't see this it is awesome, you need to go slightly later. Bet you are getting PMs about who you used and Svalbard.

I'm a little surprised that there isn't more of the orange light reflected in the white snow, albeit some orange in the snow foreground right.

No idea can't answer that, the pack ice had no colouration, might take another look and warm the ice up, jut rendering a few more files.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Steve!!! How come you kept this frame hidden in the folders until now? It is stunning. I have seen so many images taken at this location but nothing like this...thank you so much for sharing

Looks as if the place is on fire...Incandescent Svalbard... So taken with the scene...remember the WOW factor we talked about years back?

Very special image beautifully processed, love it as presented

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

How come you kept this frame hidden in the folders until now? It is stunning.
    Thank you very much Gabriela, but not everything is posted here , but also with the recent advancements there are far more options available to 'fiddle' with a file.

I can see where Gerald is coming from, but there just isn't anything in the capture that I can tweak to get to where he was thinking, just tinkering with the WB isn't there, even as a starting point to work up.

Thank you once again.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thank you very much Gabriela, but not everything is posted here , but also with the recent advancements there are far more options available to 'fiddle' with a file.

I can see where Gerald is coming from, but there just isn't anything in the capture that I can tweak to get to where he was thinking, just tinkering with the WB isn't there, even as a starting point to work up.

Thank you once again.

Steve, I reserve the right to see first all that is awesome in your foldersJust kidding, I am so taken with this frame...It's so unusual and so special! No need to tinker any further IMO...Love it as is. Incredible, spectacular light...

Err...have you tried flipping it horizontally? Don't know what I am asking you this....Just feel the bear should walk into the frame from the RHS.

So lovely, the water looks like molten lava. It's unreal...Very unique. You are so lucky to have witnessed this...I am jealous
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Err...have you tried flipping it horizontally? Don't know what I am asking you this....Just feel the bear should walk into the frame from the RHS.
    LOL, now I wonder where that seemed from? I think it can work both ways, if it was for editorial, then yes, but in the nature of the content and as a 'stand alone' image I think I will leave as is. However, if you take Geralds recent posting, the Walrus just works coming in from the RHS oh so well.

You are so lucky to have witnessed this...I am jealous
    I have been very fortunate I must admit, but it's also nice to share with likeminded folk too.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was thinking the same as Gabriela, you just had one or two images in the folders and hadn't got round to processing.....spectacular and really unusual, I would suggest this is competition material it is so different.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would suggest this is competition material it is so different.
    Thank you Jon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

certainly very different in terms of color reflection in the water , love it .
    iq looks great as always .... pb is doing it´s thing , nothing spectacular but that´s how it is with the predators .
    i am undecided if the snow /ice does need some tone or color ... at least I would try

very cool image Steve

tfs Andreas