Thread: Polar Bear Scape

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polar Bear Scape

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not sure if this image will be seen as belonging here as it shows the broad landscape in which the Polar Bear / Bearded Seal encounter took place. The landscapes of Svalbard are breathtaking and I think this shows well the broader environment and the drifts of ice where the hunting and the action takes place.

The shot was taken from the zodiac just after midnight, in-between some of the earlier posted images.

This was using my Sony A7R IV (61MPS), FE24-70 lens at 70mm. Shutter at 1/500 sec, f/9.0, ISO 500. CPL used, if I remember well.

In Lr I have brightened the shaded area on the bear and the seal, added a gradient to the visible sky and cleaned up the bottom edge.

In PS resized and USM for output.

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated.

Gerald

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald did you change the Profile to Adobe Standard?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK Gerald, I know the answer.

Framing works well and I like the fact here, you have the mountains as the backdrop, it adds scale and vastness. In these conditions if you had it, I would have popped it on a tripod and this demands Base ISO 100. I also like the trail the PB has made with the carcass.

I don't know how far down the line you are in PP, but would you consider darkening the water to add/create more depth and then retained more of that yellow/orange warmth/glow on the edges of the ice, it's a bit contrasty in its transition. This however requires masks & layers. As I said, I do like the mountains and again, perhaps play with the shadows more, to create sharp & form?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image conveys the scene well, there is detail in the snow, Steve's suggestions sound worthwhile - I have to say they would not have occurred to me!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve's suggestions sound worthwhile - I have to say they would not have occurred to me!
    LOL Jon, having done four tours there does help.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gerald!

Love this scene with the bear small in the frame, well seen and captured! Good composition and the landscape is awesome...the mountains in the BG are just stunning.
    There is a visible trail of blood that leads to the bear and its carcass...super cool sighting and image, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald ... different but as nice as the close ups .
    Maybe a bit warmer in the WB .... as an option
    Other than that , I am very envious about your images ... wish I had the same luck many moons ago , but it was not the case .

TFS Andreas