Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Red deer stag declaring his supremacy. I had been playing around with differing function modes, on reflection I think my Custom mode would have been a better choice. The shutter speed.... well I think it is just about adequate (being honest i would have gone for 1/120- 1/600sec ) - still i t looks sharp to me ... I suspect some may disagree??
    Model Name : OM-1
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 713.0mm
    Exposure mode : Auto exposure
    ISO : 1600
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Shutter : 1/640 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon,

Of the different images you have posted from this encounter, this one appeals to me most. I love the posture although it is not the most aggressive bellowing, and that you managed to catch the frosted breath with the backlight! Background gives a nice feeling for the environment.

Seems more than adequately sharp to me - even to the finest hairs on his chin!

Thanks for sharing!

Gerald

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, lovely capture and the breathe is a cool addition.

SS no idea why you would even go there Jon unless on a mono/tripod, I think you are getting confused as its not about HH, but yje stag just needs to move a fraction and the capture is in the bin.

Overall colour looks off, did you add some additional Vib? Watch the little bit of Cloning on the LH edge.

Based on your OP...

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gerald - glad you liked it.
    Steve no confusion whatsoever on shutter speed I was using ISO 1600 for a spell and not taking any notice of the shutter speed, I was curious to see how many acceptable images came about as opposed to using Auto ISO...... and of course Auto ISO gives what I want because I determine SS/Aperture.. so my little dalliance has ended.
    Agree over colour now I have seen yours but I also think yours is a bit off too. I think overall mine is too green/yellow and yours is too red/magenta/purple...... I calibrated my screen this morning.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-25-2023 at 10:26 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve no confusion whatsoever on shutter speed I was using ISO 1600 for a spell and not taking any notice of the shutter speed, I was curious to see how many acceptable images came about as opposed to using Auto ISO...... and of course Auto ISO gives what I want because I determine SS/Aperture.. so my little dalliance has ended.

Thanks for the explanation, but just don't see the point of the exercise, but your call... Auto ISO OK, but you definitely have a ceiling in which you can work in with Olympus, to me you just set the camera in M mode 1/1600 at f/6.3 ISO3200 for example job done.

I think overall mine is too green/yellow and yours is too red/magenta...... I calibrated my screen this morning.
    I just took the colour cast out and didn't then address anything else as it was just to illustrate the point Jon. If the monitor was calibrated this morning why is there a cast?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, Yes I use the setting you indicate but 4.5/5.6.
    casts - no idea you are the expert not me - all I do is produce and then when someone says there is a cast I agree or disagree. Sometimes I get it right sometimes wrong.. c'est vie !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Settings were an example.

I just don't understand after our conversation yesterday and using this actual Raw, as you say C'est la vie.

Based on the image Tone curve on the subject darken backdrop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

After discussion with Steve & uninstalling PSCC & ACR, resetting values etc, I think this is a better version... sorry if I seem to be labouring the point but what do you think of the colours? I think these are more natural and closer to reality. Take a peep at the tips of the more distant grasses, they appear to be free of colour tinges.
    There is a small area on the extreme left a little way up in the dark region, I have cloned here, I this this is better too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, they'll be dancing in the streets tonight.

Now keep it simple and don't fiddle with settings.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon, they'll be dancing in the streets tonight.

Now keep it simple and don't fiddle with settings.
    Cheeky devil, no fiddling, I think that sometimes the settings from one upgrade to another are not always fully transferred, I had not changed anything.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, yes the last image posted looks more natural and free of casts. The frame is getting better and better every time you post
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon a well captured image of this species !
    Cool specimen and the breath is a nice touch , I would darken the BG to make it more prominent .
    Color and tones are the best in last version , IMHO. Good details and sharp where it counts

TFS Andreas