Thread: Bloody Face

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bloody Face

Attached Images Attached Images

Exploring my Lr Catalog further, I am thinking that this image conveys the feeling I wanted in my previous post and makes better use of my preferred landscape orientation.

This was in May 2022 in Hornsund, a fiord in the south of Svalbard, soon after midnight. This Polar Bear had captured and been feeding on a Bearded Seal and we were observing and photographing from a zodiac.

Shot with my Sony A9II FE200-600 plus 1.4 teleconverter at 840mm. Shutter speed 1/640 sec, f/10 at ISO 500.

In Lr, I have lightened the bear slightly, lifted some Shadows and tamed some of the hotter Highlights in the background. Added a few points (12) of Manual NR. Opened in PS resized and USM for export.

Thanks very much for your encouragement and suggestions.

Gerald

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My initial reaction was that "blood looks too red", but you said he had just caught the seal so no doubt it would have been breathing very heavily immediately prior hence the rich colours (oxyhaemoglobin). I am a sucker for details and as usual your image is full of detail from the darks to the light and of course in the all important eye - great shot.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon,

With respect to the brightness of the red, the blood was very fresh, and so highly oxygenated. And as I mentioned earlier, the seal was still alive well into the process of being eaten - maybe for an hour.

This was taken about 1 hour and 20 minutes after we saw him emerging onto the ice with the seal.

Regards, Gerald

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald, is this FF or cropped? What colour profile are you using in Lr Adobe????? Its in the Dev tab above the Temp slider.

Back soon.

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

This is full width. I shoot with a 16x9 viewfinder and the image has space above and below for full sensor.

I've used the Adobe Color profile.

Regards,

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gerald, I was just wondering if there might be another crop alternative, are you able just to RP the FF version?

AC, ok change that to Adobe Standard, AC is just too aggressive in its Blacks & Contrast within its makeup, masking detail.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gerald, I am more and more excited to view your images and come back every day to see whether you posted something new

Love the bloodied face of the Polar Bear and pose. Just thinking a tighter crop could benefit this image, if the IQ allows it. F10 great choice... but once again I feel SS is a bit low, I would not take any chances with such an amazing opportunity. In fact when I see something this special I try experiment with various settings, just making sure I have enough frames to choose from when I get home.

Really nice POV here. Whites quite 'strong' in places but I am certain no detail is lost. Adobe Colour profile might look great but I totally agree with Steve on changing to Adobe Standard, less contrast and you can bring back all you want in PP.

This is one special capture and I thank you for sharing with us, so looking forward to more...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela,

Many thanks for your kind words and suggestions. I think the IQ is good enough for a tighter crop - there have to be so many variations and possibilities.

Point taken on the shutter speed. I was trying to keep the ISO low and the aperture up a little, 1/640 seemed to work as the bear wasn't moving around much. Given the same circumstance, I think I would probably go for a higher speed and ISO.

I have a different image ready for posting, I'll look at it again...

Best wishes, Gerald

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

Having a problem getting this to post. Maybe it will appear twice!

This is the full frame 3x2 image. I used the AS profile but upped the blacks and red saturation slightly to get back near I was!

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gerald, it was just to see if there was an alternative crop, but you should find things easier with As and ps updated to the new settings.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald, based on the above FF how about this crop. If you unconstrained the Crop tool and use the RoT's the eyes sit on the top line, and so you have more below, less above, I think the 'weight ratio' sits better, WDYT?????
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 10-26-2023 at 05:32 AM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gerald and Steve

I really like the RP above. The whites in the coat of the bear have a bit more warmth and thus more appealing and the crop with less above changes perspective tremendously. Blood is so vivid, adds lots of drama. And so much detail coming through, yay
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OMG Gerald ... such a cool shot .
    Better than previous one in terms of comp and I do like the overall light , tone and colors .

Steve has taken the image up a notch with his version

TFS Andreas