Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

The previous post of Red deer was one of the combatants... I guess you can work out which one!

OM-1 150-400TC
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 801.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO : 2500
    Exposure compensation : -0.3 EV
    Shutter : 1/3200 sec
    Aperture : F5.6

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, can these Males be related, not the gesture I would expect from part of the rut??? Looks like to male lions greeting each other with rubbing heads.

To the image, there appears to be a bit of funky blurring in where the racks meets, looks very odd, jars, looks like a blur??? To me the light is coming from the RHS, yet the LHS is very open in exposure, did you lift it???? The darks and contrast look a bit fierce, almost a hint of colour noise in the shrubbery at the back, did you push the Contrast, or Clarity, clarity will also add sharpening???? I would also reduce the blues Jon, but that LH scary eye.

Jon, it sounds quite brutal but I'm trying to understand the overall image PP.

I think SS of 1/2000 should have been OK, but assume you thought they might spar? Why -O.33EV was it the tips of the rack?

Talk later
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's not brutal, if it's not the way you would do it then you would wonder what's going on. I tried to put some colour and expression in the image, I felt if I presented it as it was then it would be very dull flat and uninteresting. The negative exposure was to prevent highlights blowing in the antlers and the grasses. They are in fact sparring, jsy at this moment it doesn't really look like it. I have other images but not such clear views of the head, they are lower down pushing against each other and the grasses don't help. The shutter speed is my default speed when using using Procapture, so I was probably in that mode knowing that the best shot would be the one that was missed using conventional means.
    Blues magentas and purples have been reduced almost completely.... colours don't look too bad to me???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, are you around tomorrow for a telcon, it won’t be too early as I have an engineer here all day. Is there a good time???
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon,

I find it is an interesting shot - they seem to be lightly sparing before getting down to it! I can hear the "clack" of the antlers tapping each other!

They are difficult to get a good image when they really get down low for the "scrum" and it usually is over very quickly.

I can see why Steve thinks there is something "funky" behind the antlers but can't hazard a guess as to what has happened. Good luck with it!

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Heat haze, wrong time of day Gerald, in addition it would run across the whole background.

As I said to Jon, once I understand the thinking and PP and unravel the image, then between us we can build on it and make it all very positive.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I think we have a better understanding all round and I hope you have a better direction now in which way to tackle the files. Very much looking forward ti seeing the next in the edition.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Wow, some action...been waiting for this Quite a powerful image, given the imminent clash of the racks and the 'wild eye' of one of the combatants. Wish your image had sound...

I appreciate the high SS to freeze movement, good thinking there...just curious why -0.3 EV? Good textures in the subjects' coat and this time that lovely brownish-orange comes through nicely. There's a whitish 'triangle' behind the subjects, a lift in exposure perhaps?

So looking forward to more from this encounter, pretty exciting.

PS Saw lion cubs today on my way back from work but sadly had to give it a miss, did not want to spoil things for the game viewer parked nearby...Hope to find them tomorrow morning but chances are slim...

Have a wonderful evening Jon, and thank you for sharing,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks glad you liked it Gabriela, the whitish triangle is the breath of the combatants condensing (early morning cool damp conditions).

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see, thank you very much Jon for reply. Only saw this now, I no longer get any notifications...
    Gabriela Plesea