Thread: King of the Bush

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default King of the Bush

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Everyone,

As promised, another lion image. This time a male. I like to think that I am able to spot just about everything when in the bush but happened to drive past this big guy as he was lying among tall grasses, very well camouflaged. The red tinge in his mane did catch my eye so I reversed the vehicle to have a good look, thinking 'it must have been a rock or a log of sorts'.

What a lovely surprise to see him get up and stretch and then walk towards his mate, also lying in the grass at some distance. Must say the other chap never got up and kept his eyes closed...this, despite my back and forth movements to find a better angle. At some point I began to wonder whether he was alive but a slight movement from one ear was sufficient proof that he was indeed well, perhaps just exhausted after a big meal, speckles of blood on its mane told the story.

Techs:

Nikon Z9
    Nikon 400mm F2.8 (@400mm)
    ISO 2000
    F7.1
    +0.33 EV
    SS 1/1250s

Like my previous image posted this was again processed in a hurry but I got to have another look the other night and added some tweaks. Happy to receive any critique, technical or otherwise. Many thanks for viewing and comments on my previous images.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I cannot think of anything more impressive than a male lion! I think you have shown the fur texture very well indeed, I can appreciate his might - look at those shoulder and neck muscles. His colouration does look different to other lions... I suppose when you think about it probably every individual has some peculiarity.
    I like the image, the head angle is not ideal from my POV but I can appreciate his is intent upon something.
    I have a tiny reservation about the image background - less so with the lion, is it slightly noisy I am sensing a slight grittiness......more lions please!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon, thank you, indeed the male lion is always an impressive sighting, would have loved to see some cubs though but the females were not around Did see a white lion in May but unfortunately too far. And a male with a beautiful red mane, but he was sleeping...Regarding background, it was extremely busy: lots of intertwined branches from a bush and not a leaf on them, some other vegetation also on the LHS. I can do some more NR but then I suppose the background will become too smooth and subject might look pasted on. Shall have another look at this image, maybe see if I have a better one. At the moment things a bit hectic for me so just sharing what I have, do appreciate the critique very much as it will help me when I process more images from this trip. And yes, there'll be more lions, soon
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, unlike Jon, I like the POV and strong gaze. Having a fairly light BKG emphasises the Lion well and adds good separation. I agree with Jon however, in the lower portion of the mane there is noise, I think you lifted it here, ooh the might Z9 noise at ISO2000!!!!

I think if you just beefed things up with more tonal range/contrast and a little more richness in the subject overall it will help, likewise coming in a fraction on the RHS.

In bringing out more depth in the overall head, you can light the face just a wee fraction, you have all the tools.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve,

Glad you like this lion and his gaze Noise or not, I sold all my other gear (almost, one lens left) and at the moment all I have is the Z9 with its 400 F2.8 lens so I must manage until I decide what's next

Back to the image, you might notice some stuff in the background, especially on the LHS, looks like posterisation but it's in fact OOF vegetation. It's not a great frame really, and as you know I have cleaner images in my folders...At home much easier as one can go off road and reposition vehicle, sometimes we wait for hours for the animals to move about. Kruger is tough for me, as much as I love the environment.

Anyway, not giving up so easily on this frame, shall look at the tonal range and composition and see how I can improve it. You might see a repost in a day or so, need to spend some time on it Promise I won't disappear, will see what I can share in the meantime

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Back to the image, you might notice some stuff in the background, especially on the LHS, looks like posterisation but it's in fact OOF vegetation.
    That could from many things Gabriela, heat haze, PP where you globally change colours, even partly in compression for web, but you need to view the file at actual size, not what the screen sizes it self to. Only then can you make informative judgement.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    That could from many things Gabriela, heat haze, PP where you globally change colours, even partly in compression for web, but you need to view the file at actual size, not what the screen sizes it self to. Only then can you make informative judgement.
    You are absolutely right, Steve.

Well I looked at the RAW. Looks like OOF vegetation and maybe heat haze too, it was overcast at the time and about to rain, we had temperatures close to 40'C this September.
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I like the pose quite a bit. It looks like his had a few scraps with some other lions over time. The colors and contrast are nice and his eyes are well presented. I understand the challenge with the LHS vegetation... I had a similar problem with my Heron photo where the reflected vegetation looked like noise to some folks. Perhaps if you blurred that section then it could smooth out some details and appear less posterized. Just a thought

Dave G.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Dave, much appreciated!

Glad you like this old boy of mine

BG, probably a combination of OOF vegetation and heat haze, will have another look, maybe I made it worse in PP.

Have a great day

Kind regards
    Gabriela Plesea