Thread: Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer (Cervus elaphus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Firstly sorry I have not been commenting or posting in factI have not been able to make any posts for some time - for some reason the website did not present itself in an amenable manner, I eventually persuaded it to behave - not too sure how so I hope it doesn't happen again!

This stag was strutting his stuff and rounding up his hinds. I have cropped to 3:2 ratio and generated a small area at the base. I eliminated an OOF hind top right. I can't tell you how many different versions I have made in terms of colour rendition, this is probably a little brighter than reality. I don't think it is too far out, I welcome all C&C, hope y'all like it!

OM-1 150-400TC
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 427.0mm
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO : 1600
    Exposure compensation : +0.3 EV
    Shutter : 1/2000 sec
    Aperture : F6.3

ACR/PSCC

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, nice to have you back posting and like Will's, this is a lovely capture of a roaring stag. OK it might not be in a nice Glen, or scenic Bradgate Park, Richmond, but he's in full flight during the rut!

Personally I don't feel, like you, its that far off, I might try dropping the Blue, Magenta & Purple to -75 in the S of HSL bring that red coat up a bit more in the S and drop the Greens in the H tab. Bring the HL's down on the tip of the rack. Perhaps also adjusting some of the Selective colours to add a fraction more punch in the darks????

Saying that you have good the capture of him bellowing/roaring which is nice with good space all round. Techs look good with decent SS and its sharp.

Nice one.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Jon, you must be very pleased with this! Great expression from the deer, that eye looks wild!

Solid techs, good framing, I like the sharpness and detail. I leave the colours to Steve, though must say I quite like the rich tonality of the subject's coat.

For me a lovely behavioural capture and I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you liked it Gabriela, I have a few more perhaps with a little more dramatic light.
    Steve the colours - thanks those suggestions helped me a great deal, I will bare them in mind for future posts...( I always get myself confused when I adjust Hues)