Thread: Flowers for Dinner

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flowers for Dinner

Attached Images Attached Images

The Kigelia Africana (also known as Sausage Tree) is used traditionally in Africa to treat various skin conditions, ailments such as arthritis and also stomach issues. Locals bake the fruit and eat them, they contain fatty acids and are quite nutritious. Seeds can be roasted.

Baboons eat both the flowers and the fruits of this beautiful tree, especially during the dry season when there is not a lot of fresh food available. This particular image was captured in September this year during a camping trip in Kruger Park. I have many frames from this sighting but quite liked the pose here and the falling flower.

Techs:

Nikon Z9
    Nikon 400mm F2.8 (@ 560mm)
    ISO 2500
    F6.3
    SS 1/2000s
    +0.67 EV

Processed in LR and PSCC. Thank you so much for taking the time to view, I appreciate any comments, be it technical or otherwise.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, a lovely image and the falling fruit is priceless, it really adds IMHO.

OK, so he's on the road, but as it's all very neutral in tone/colour I don't think it's too distracting, yes in an ideal world being under the tree or in more habitat would be nicer, but far more distracting elements.

Regarding the image I might suggest pulling the crop down so the eyes sit on the grid line. Have you considered boosting the fruit colour with the new picker, it might help to bring a bit more 'colour' into the image, personal choice. Subjective, but also adding some filters to around one or two of the edges. Techs look good, glad you are getting to grips and the info helped, nice one.

Hope to see more in the coming days, you must have them queuing on the various Drives.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Steve, I so appreciate the feedback

The road bugs me too... made sure not to emphasize it I think it looks better than the grass though, the flowers are not so visible in the other frames.

Shall pull the crop down and try the colour picker ( was not available when I processed this image ). And yes there are more images in those folders and I will share

Have a lovely evening, here lots of rain (about 100mm or more in two days), thunder and lightning at the moment and power on and off, oh well...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bet the drive home was fun , 100mm of rain, nothing, Will D is getting at least 200mm tonight!!!!

All the best.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Bet the drive home was fun , 100mm of rain, nothing, Will D is getting at least 200mm tonight!!!!

All the best.
    You know what it's like! Sliding in deep mud and avoiding the trees on the side of the road, thank goodness for the old Landcruiser I hear we are way past the 100 mm, it's pouring here and there's a river flowing in front of the house, might need a boat tomorrow

Surprised we still have electricity and pleased same time. Carl watching a replay of the rugby game SA vs France.

Hope Will is doing well and that the rain does not cause any issues

Speak soon,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this Gabriela. The pose, detail and colours on the baboon look real good. The flowers add a colour boost against the greys. The dropping flower adds so much. Very well spotted and photographed.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela,

I'm really enjoying this lovely image. The baboon busy eating, deep in thought about the next flower he will eat! The falling flower is a delight!

My only suggestion would be to add some more exposure / darken slightly the top right of the frame to stop the eye wandering into the brighter area.

Thank you for your very positive comments on my images - great encouragement!

Best wishes, Gerald

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super moment in time captured, I like it very much! I would be tempted to get a little more detail out of the baboon fur (I may fail of course - but I think it's worth a try, the flowers look beautiful.... did you get any with a slight head turn?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you dear Will, Gerald and Jon, glad you like it!

I have about a hundred or so images from this sighting and some with a head turn as well. Just liked the falling flower here, over time I will share some of the others. Processed just after I got back from the Kruger so in a bit of a haste...Steve told me not to do this...but sometimes I cannot resist

Shall look at all suggestions - including yours, Gerald, I think you have a point! Also tempted to try get more colour into those flowers, more 'pop'. Don't know about the detail in the fur Jon, I tried but it became a bit coarse. Maybe I was using the wrong method...I'll ask Steve for help, he is a Magician
    Once again thank you friends, much appreciated

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea