Thread: Sniffing the air...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sniffing the air...

Attached Images Attached Images

So, inspired by Geralds recent posting, I thought it might be worth a revisit to some older files with the massive update to Lr/PS, you got love the recent enhancements and they have become superb software tools.

Again taken from the lowest part of the ship, sister to the one Gerald was on, to get the lowest POV, lying flat on the deck. Although bitterly cold it was good to be slightly overcast to help with the pack ice.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear on pack ice (Ursus maritimus)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM HH
    Exposure: 1/1600 at f/9 ISO1000 EV +1
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF
    Processed via: LRC 13.1 & PS 25
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice framing and lines. The aqua ice compliments the off-white bear and you captured the texture of the ice and snow without overdoing it.

I’d be interested to know what new tools you used in Lr/Ps and how they may have helped.

Dave G.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dave.

I’d be interested to know what new tools you used in Lr/Ps and how they may have helped.
    The best think to do is checkout the Adobe site, you can then browse at leisure.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

So pleased to have given some inspiration!

I love the pose with that characteristic Polar Bear shape. She is lovely and clean - so nice to see all that detail in the fur!

There is a slight colour change at he waist - is that from the back end just coming out of the water?

Thanks for sharing - I'll have to try to find another to inspire you further!

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

So pleased to have given some inspiration!
    I think its great Gerald, as we often go down a path, but with all the upgrades recently it's great to revisit files that perhaps were parked, however when reviewed now, you really can see far more of what the camera really caught.

There is a slight colour change at he waist - is that from the back end just coming out of the water?
    LOL Gerald, you had me going there, just checked everything and its just the way the fur/light is, as PB are NOT always the same colour all over, ie note the slightly less pronounced colouration in the neck, but there are variations in the colour tones of the fur. Perhaps in real life less prominent I couldn't say, but good to know in my haste to post it wasn't a mask that should have been deleted.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Love the pose here and framing, detail on the bear is superb. Nice textures in the snow/ice and colours look natural.
    Another wonderful image and I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much

Been playing with the new tools in LR... it is like having a new toy

Enjoy the rest of the evening and I hope you have a great week ahead,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, yes the new tools are fun, just watch what I sent you, it’s so easy, but can be quite dramatic/striking when it’s applied correctly. Have fun, hopefully can I assume we will see some postings, you can’t keep those images squirrelled away for too long.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks Gabriela, yes the new tools are fun, just watch what I sent you, it’s so easy, but can be quite dramatic/striking when it’s applied correctly. Have fun, hopefully can I assume we will see some postings, you can’t keep those images squirrelled away for too long.
    Steve, you are right I have been squirrelling lots of images...I am sorry. Been processing every now and then (usually week-ends when I could find a bit of time) but felt I had to go back and rework them, often dissatisfied with the results. I'll post some and see what folks think, hope you can chip in with some suggestions
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would be delighted to.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    I would be delighted to.
    Posted
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super image, your control of the exposure is something else, I have had a good look at the eye nose and mouth!